My Grandfather

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

My Grandfather

Postby Jacqui » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:14 pm

I am trying to find information on my grandfather who fought in the first world war. His name was Thomas James and he lived in Droitwich at that time. In 1916 he married my grandmother in Droitwich. The only information we have on him is a coloured document thanking him on behalf of friends in Droitwich and Hillend, for his loyalty to King and Country during the Great War. The only reference on this document is at the top under his name and is M.T., R.X.S.C. Can anybody throw any light on what this could mean. I don't know where to start looking as I don't know what battalion he was in. There is a crest at the top of the document which says IN DEFENCE on the banner between the flags at the top of the crest and on the banner at the bottom of the crest is says SAL SAPIT OMNIA. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Jacqui
Jacqui

Postby Kevin Lynott » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Jacqui

M.T. R.X.S.C. could read M.T. R.A.S.C. which means Motor Transport Royal Army Service Corp

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Jacqui » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Kevin, Thank you so much you are right that could be an A. That would also tie up with what I know, and that is he was a driver for a Russian General in the 1st world war. Thank you again so much, I can now go a step further with my investigation. What I am trying to do is get a birth date and place so that I can get more information on him for my mother who is 84 and as he died when she was 9 she knows very little about him. Thank you again Kindest regards
Jacqui
Jacqui

Postby Kevin Lynott » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Jacqui,

If you obtain a copy of Thomas and Miss Evans wedding certificate from the second quarter of 1916 it may give his age and you can work back from that for his birth certificate.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Jacqui » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 am

Thank you for that Kevin, I have my grandparents marriage certificate they were married 12th Feb 1916 he was 26. I also have his death certificate and know he died aged 45 on 23rd Nov 1934. He was born in 1889 and I have worked out that he was not born in January or in the first 12 days of February or the last week in November or December. So you see I am really stuck. But thank you again for all you help and interest.
Kindest regards
Jacqui
Jacqui

Return to First World War