Help with my Great-Grandfather

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Help with my Great-Grandfather

Postby harggie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

I am new to family history and have just started to research my family tree.

I have discovered that my Great-Grandfather served in the Worcestershire Regiment, 4th Bn. His name was William Hargreaves, his service no 23079. I have found him on the CWGC and PlumPudding his medal card from Ancestry, but it has very little on it. I would dearly like to try and find out a little more if possible. I can't seem to find any service records or other documentation.

All that side of my family has now gone and I don't even have a photograph. Can anyone please help me with any further information or point me in the right direction. Many thanks

Keith Hargreaves
harggie

Postby LarsA » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Keith,
the information on the MIC says that he came to Gallipoli on 15.7.1915. This would probably mean that he was sent out as a reinforcement to the 4th who had landed on 25.4.1915 on the first day of Gallipoli. Another possibility is that he came out with the 9th Battalion, that landed in mid july.

As he was with the 4th when he was KIA at Arras, the medal rolls themselves may not provide any other information. But to be sure whether he served with the 9th or the 4th in Gallipoli, you could look up the references given on the MIC along the medal entitlement, this can be done at the National Archives. It would show battalion served with, but not much more.

This information is also held by the Regimental Archives, adress on the start page, but they ask for a contribution of 12£.

Good luck on your research!
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Thank you

Postby harggie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. I am going to look at the National Archives web-site, although I have not found it the easiest of web-sites to navigate. I will also contact the Regimental Archives. Thanks again really appreciate your time and your knowledge.

Keith :)
harggie

Postby allanp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Keith

I have found a reference in the 22nd September 1917 edition of the Worcester Herald of, 23079 Pte W. Hargreaves from Blackburn Killed

Regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War