2nd Lieut George Mason

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2nd Lieut George Mason

Postby Nick Murray White » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:07 pm

I am researching my great uncle George Mason who was killed in action on 20th May 1917. He was originally with the Worcs Yeomanry and his MIC shows he was in Egypt originally. He was with the 8th battallion and attached to the 2nd battalion when he was killed near Crioselles I think. His name is on the memorail at Arras. Does anyone have any information about the Yeomanry and how it was absorbed into the Worcestershir regiment. Any information about him would be gratefully received. There is a stained glass window to his memory in St John the Baptist Church in Wickhamford Near Evesham.
Nick Murray White

Postby LarsA » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:12 am

On May 2oth-21st 1917 the 2nd Worcesters were in action at Croissilles, near Arras. (In the official list of engagements named 'Actions on the Hindenburg Line, may 20th-june 16th') Nearly half of the fighting strength of the battalion fell in the action. They had held their ground unsupported against enemy attacks for 20 hours, being relieved by the 2nd RWF.

I have a longer description of this action from Stacke if you are interested.

As he was a pte in the yeomanry i think he was commissioned in the worcestershire regiment and posted to the battalion.

Kind regards
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby allanp » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Nick

There is a mention in the 9 June 1917 edition of the Worcester Herald for, Sec Lieu G Mason, Wounded. Did he die of wounds? Mind you if he is remembered at Arras then he has no known grave. So it is more than likely that the report of his wound was from someone who was close bye when he fell and the report of his death did not reach the Battalion until later.

Regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War