Sydney Joseph Bluck

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Sydney Joseph Bluck

Postby ruthbabar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I am looking for any information I can find about my grandfather Sydney Bluck, he enlisted at Inkberrow with 5th Battalion 1915 and was mobilised April 1916 disembarked the September at Salonika and immediately posted to 11th Battalion. April 1917 He was wounded in action sailing to Malta where he was in Tigne Hospital. Any information about any of these events, or more information about the hospital would be appreciated. because of the severity of his wounds he was in and out of hospital for the rest of his life. He was admitted in 1933 to U S F Douglas House, West Southbourne Bournemouth, and 1934 The Royal Victoria and West Hants Hospital in Boscombe. If anyone can tell me anything about these hospitals , if they were specifically for wounded ex soldiers? as Sydney lived in Worcestershire, it would be unlikely for him to just be admitted to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I am interested in the movements of the 11 th battalion from their disembarking at Salonika in September 1916 and any information about the Tigne Hospital in Malta where war wounded were sent
ruthbabar

Postby allanp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 pm

I have found a reference in the 2nd June 1917 edition of the Worcester Herald of a,

28914 Pte S. Bluck - Worcester, Wounded.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

S Bluck

Postby ruthbabar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Many thanks for the information, do you know of any other entries for the surname Bluck as my grandfather had several brothers and cousins in the war.
once again thanks

Ruth Babar
I am interested in the movements of the 11 th battalion from their disembarking at Salonika in September 1916 and any information about the Tigne Hospital in Malta where war wounded were sent
ruthbabar

Postby allanp » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Ruth

I have found 2 other Bluck's

15720 Pte R. Bluck - Worcester, reported Wounded in the 7 October 1916 edition.

26379 Pte J. Bluck - Droitwich, reported Wounded in the 16 December 1916 edition.

26379 Pte J. Bluck - Droitwich, reported as Previously reported wounded, now reported wounded and missing in the 10 March 1917 edition.

These may not be your relatives you will have to do some more research, as these lads did not always join the same Regiments. 3 of my Great Uncles lived in the same house but were in 3 different Regiments. My Grandfather lived next door and joined a 4th. The later they joined the less option they had.

The towns listed can also be the place that they inlisted, rather than their home towns. Inkberrow is only 11.5 miles from Droitwich and 12.2 miles away from Worcester.

Hope this helps.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby ruthbabar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Allan, Thanks once again. I will be going to Worcester in a couple of months and will be looking these entries up at the History Centre. I have one later newspaper cutting about my grandfather unfortunately I do not have a date but I believe it to be in 1930s as he was in and out of hospital having various operations caused from his war injuries. Also his pension records did not survive WW2
Once again thanks
regards
Ruth
ruthbabar

Return to First World War