RE: Lieut Arthur Rowland Ganner

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

RE: Lieut Arthur Rowland Ganner

Postby cccperry » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 am

I am looking for any information on my grandfather as named above. All I can find is that on his tomb it states.. R.C.A.F
FLT LIEUT ARTHUR R. GANNER
1893 - 1956

I also found a document online stating he was in 11th Worcestershire reg.
But this site has no information on him, nor does the Canadian Legions, he is burried in a vet cemetary in Canada. Born in the UK.Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Carrie
cccperry

Postby scully » Thu May 28, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Carrie,

His Medal Index Card shows he was with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Machine Gun Corps.

The London Gazette records show he was initially with the Worcestershire Yeomanry Territorial Force. He was promoted to Lieutenant on the 1st July 1917.

Arthur Rowland Ganner was born at Dudley,Worcestershire in 1893.

The 1911 British census gives the following family household details:
BENJAMIN GANNER - HEAD - MARRIED - Male - age 48 - occupation:MINES CONTRACTOR - born at TIPTON STAFFORDSHIRE.
EMILY GANNER - WIFE - MARRIED - Female - age 47 - born at HANDBOROUGH OXFORD.

ALTHEA MAY GANNER - DAUGHTER - SINGLE - Female - age 19 - STUDENT PART TIME - born at DUDLEY WORCESTERSHIRE.

ARTHUR ROLAND GANNER - SON - SINGLE - Male - age 18 - STUDENT PART TIME - born at DUDLEY WORCESTERSHIRE.

VERA WASTU GANNER - DAUGHTER - Female - age 13 - SCHOOL - born at DUDLEY WORCESTERSHIRE.

ADELAIDE GANNER - DAUGHTER - Female - age 11 - SCHOOL - born at DUDLEY WORCESTERSHIRE.

MARY DAVIES - SERVANT - SINGLE - Female - age 21 - GENERAL SERVANT DOMESTIC - born at PENSNETT STAFFORDSHIRE.

The family was living at 56 STOWBRIDGE ROAD DUDLEY, County Staffordshire.
1911 CENSUS REFERENCE = RG14PN17457 RG78PN1067 RD372 SD4 ED34 SN28) District Dudley Subdistrict Dudley - Enumeration District 34 Parish

In 1911 it stated that his parents had been married for 20 years.

Hope the above helps,

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
Last edited by scully on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scully
Site Admin

Postby cccperry » Thu May 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Thank you so much for all this information! Finally I have something. Thank you for taking your time to help me. I couldn't find anything! Carrie
Carrie
cccperry

Postby cccperry » Thu May 28, 2009 4:46 pm

I wonder if there are any sites that have more pictures and names of these soldiers. I would like to have seen a photo of him.
Carrie
cccperry

Return to First World War