Freferick Evans

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Freferick Evans

Postby neilpms » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:41 pm

I am looking for information on one of my Great great Uncles, i am in possession of the scroll of honour issued to the family, it reads PTE Frederick Evans, Worcestershire Regiment

I am pretty certain his middle name was Victor but cant be absolutely sure, he was born in Windsor district about 1895, however i have found 3 Frederick Evans at that time in different regiments from the same district, can anyone help me with this please, i would like to find his service number and more information as to where he died as a few of us would like to visit the site, there are a couple of Frederick Evans on this sites roll of honour but i cannot tie down which one it might be

many thanks in advance

Neil
neilpms

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 am

Hello Neil,
I had nothing to do and your request interested me, so here goes. Please remember that when soldiers enlisted at this time, they did not have to produce any paperwork or proof of identity. One in eight fibbed a bit with their details, for various reasons.
The only Frederick Evans that comes near your details is Pte. Frederick Evans 242308, who died of Wounds 5th April 1917. He declared himself born Egham, Surrey, he enlisted for sure in Ascot, Berks. and gave an address in Sunningdale. He named his next of kin as his sister Fanny Evans. She married and became Mrs Fanny Platt. In 1920 she was living at 7 Oriental Road, Sunningdale (Might be Sunninghill), Ascot. The big fly in the ointment is that this Frederick was born in 1875. Does any of this fit in with what you know?
Regards Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby neilpms » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Mike

thank you for taking the time and effort to reply, this is strange as i am a generation out here, the Frederick you have just found for me is defintely one of my ancestors but goes back another generation and i cannot understand how the scroll of honour came into our possession, i am sure we had another Frederick killed in WW1 and this may explain why i am getting strange results in my search, i think the Frederick Victor i am looking for was with the Princess Charlotte of Wales (Royal Berkshire Regiment) and was killed 16th Nov 1915, he was the nephew of the other frederick
I cant thank you enough for unmuddling this
kind regards
Neil
neilpms

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 am

Hi Neil,
Glad to be of help. The world is your Oyster now, you can track the movements of Pte. Frederick Evans 242308 up till his unfortunate death. I can add that he was in “B” Company. You probably already know but a fighting Battalion was split into four Companies A + B + C +D. He got his wound in the attack at Templeux-Le-Guerard. The attack is mentioned in great detail, including excellent maps, in the Regimental history by Captain Stacke (Page 248 and 249). Nine men of the Bn. were killed in Action that day and are buried in the nearby cemetery. Unfortunately they died together but are not buried together. They are scattered across plots 1 and 2.
Your relative with many others were evacuated along the medical chain and arrived at Bray (29 Km. West of Templeux-Le-Guerard.) Here three of the men died, including Fred and are buried in Bray Military Cemetery. None of them are buried together but all are in plot 2. Pte. Spalding 241603 died of wounds 6th April, a day after Fred.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby neilpms » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Mike

thank you for this, i have an 80 year old uncle who was the nephew of fred Evans, this has really made his day finding out all of this in detail

many thanks

Neil
neilpms

Postby allanp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Neil

Just to add to the excellent information that Mike has given you.

I have a reference in the Worcester Herald 12 May 1917 edition of

242308 Pte F. Evans - Sunningdale - Died of Wounds

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Return to First World War