John Thomas Burton

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John Thomas Burton

Postby brown1s » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 pm

I am trying to track down as much information as possible about my great grandfather - John Thomas Burton
He served in the Regiment during WW1, I am particularly interested if anyone can shed some light on the date he joined the regiment.
I have some details:
Number:36507
Name: John Thomas Burton
Battalion: 1st Battl
Died: 27th Mar 1917

I recently visited St Sever Ext Cenetry, Rouen to take some pics of the cemetry and of John's grave - quite an emotional place.

If anyone has any details about John or possible photos etc that would be a great help and greatly appreciated

Regards
Steve
brown1s

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:26 am

Hello Steve,
I think I have some good information for you, the problem is I have to dig it out. It will take a few days as I am snowed under at the moment. To start you off, your Relative was a "Derby Scheme" Volunteer. Forever ever known as a "Derby Man". It is a subject all on its own. If you put "Great War , Derby scheme" in the Yahoo search box, all will be revealed. John enlisted between July and December 1915. Probably in December. His "Group" was called up some time later but the earlier date stands for enlistment purposes.
In your post the word changer has done its work and one of your words got changed automatically. What is a similar word to the one you wanted to say? You could go back and edit the post using another word.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby brown1s » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello Mike

Thanks very much for the reply - I didn't notice the word change, guess I'd better not take up proof reading !!
Although how it got 'fruit' from the original word 'pictures' I'm not sure.

Your information is fantastic and a great help for me, if you can uncover anything else over the coming days no matter how small that would be very much appreciated - I hit a brick wall with my research recently but hopefully this will kick start me again.

Researching the 'Derby Scheme' my calculation would have put John into 'group44' so he would have been towards the end of the Derby call-ups, although I can't find dates for when individual groups were called up, looks like all of the single 'derbyites' were called up between Jan-May 1916. With that timeframe estimate then it would have been possibly around Sept when he finally got the call. I'll plod on and see what else I can uncover.

Thanks You
Regards
Steve
brown1s

Postby allanp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi Steve

I have found a reference in the Worcester Herald 28th April 1917 edition of

36507 Pte J. Burton - Bromsgrove - Died of Wounds

Soldiers Died in the Great War Shows

36507 Pte John Thomas Burton - 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment
Born - Bromsgrove, Enlisted - Stourbridge, Residence - Bromsgrove.
Died of Wounds - 27 March 1917

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby brown1s » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Allan

Thanks for that information - having scoured the internet for that article, how can I get a copy of it, is there an archive web-site I can get it from ?

thanks
Steve
brown1s

Postby allanp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Steve

Unfortunatly the Worcester Herald is not on the internet, it is only on microfich at the History Centre in Worcester. There may be an article in the Bromsgrove Library old newspapers. The Bromsgrove Messenger was around at the time and would be well worth going through. Where abouts in the world do you live?

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:14 am

Hi Steve,
I will give you a little background information on where I got this article from as you will probably want to get a copy. The last thing I was working on from the Regimental Archives, before I fell out with them was a large scrapbook. This 120 page book was kept during the war by someone interested in HIS local men. He must have been based in Worcester. The only men listed came from Worcester, Evesham, Droitwich, Malvern and Bromsgrove. Also most of the small villages around Worcester. I have looked through the ones I had done and hey presto,
FATHER OF TEN CHILDREN.
Private J. T. Burton, Worcestershire Regiment, of Snuff Hill, Fairfield, near Bromsgrove has succumbed to terrible wounds received in action. Before the war he was employed in the Highways Depatment of the Birmingham Corporation. He was called up with his group on Aug 30th 1916 and left for the front on Christmas eve. He was 40 years old last January. He leaves a widow and ten children. The funeral of the deceased took place with Military honours on March 28th.
It is very lucky to find such an informative article but not unique. It is worth looking through any soldier's local paper just after his death or serious wounding.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby brown1s » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Allan

Thanks once again for the information. I currently live in Northampton UK.

Regards
Steve
brown1s

Postby brown1s » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Mike

That is absolutely brilliant - although has given me some work to do now, as I had him with 2 children - so I have another 8 to find now (best get some headache tablets out, this is gonna be a long night).

I can't thank you enough, that is definitely some great information to push me forward now.

One thing I have noticed and not sure if you or anyone has come across this before with other servicemen - is that I cannot find John listed on any of the named rememberance memorials/plaques commemorating the men who lost their lives in WW1 with the regiment - do you know of any reason that might be ?

Regards
Steve
brown1s

Postby allanp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Steve

I live only a few miles from Fairfield so I will go and have a look to see if I can find a memorial for you. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby Kevin Lynott » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 am

Steve and allanp

There is a John Thomas BURTON listed on the Fairfield memorial

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby brown1s » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 am

Allan / Kevin

Thanks very much for the information - I'll have to organise a day out to Fairfield to get some pictures at some point.

Kind Regards
Steve
brown1s

Postby brown1s » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:43 am

Allan / Kevin

Looking around web there doesnt seem to be any information on the Fairfield memorial and looking on Google maps, Fairfield doesnt look that big but rather than me driving around for ages could you give me a rough idea on where the memorial is, maybe a road name or something close by for me to pin point

Thanks
Steve
brown1s

Postby Kevin Lynott » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Its on the main road through the village(the B4091) If you are driving south from the A491 it is on the left after the church opposite the parade of shops and in front of the community centre, I seem to recall it might be screened by some trees(On Google Earth there is an information marker about the Home Guard HQ it is just in front of that building)

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby brown1s » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks Kevin thats great and much appreciated

Regards
Steve
brown1s

Return to First World War