Roll of Honour - missing soldier

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Roll of Honour - missing soldier

Postby sdapeze » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:22 pm

My great uncle Sidney George Innis is shown on the Commonwealth War Grave site as having died 24th March 1920 and buried in Worcester. From this I assume he died as a result of the war. He is not on your Roll of Honour. His service number was 13178 of 3rd battalion. Can he be added? Can you tell me any more about his war record? Thanks.
Their names liveth for ever more
sdapeze

Postby scully » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi,

With regards Private Sidney George Innis.

At the start of WW1 he was with the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (his number was 13178) and sailed from Southampton on ss. Bosnian on the morning of the 14th August 1914, arriving at Havre, France the following day.

It would appear that at some point he was wounded and returned to the U.K. where he then was transferred to the Royal Army Service Corp (his number changed to T/40968). He was then discharged and awarded the Silver War Badge (sometimes referred to as the Wounds Badge - you will find details of this on this website).

The reason he was not on the Worcestershire Regiment Roll of Honour on this website was due to the fact that his last army posting was with the Royal Army Service Corp and would therefore show on their Roll of Honour.

I will have a further look into this and see if I should add him to the Roll of Honour on this website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Sidney George Innis

Postby sdapeze » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Sidney's brother Harry was killed in 1916, Worcestershire Regiment. You have the latter on your roll of honour. It would be good to see Sidney alongside him. I am trying to honour their memory with some research. If I can be of any assistance with research in Colchester, please let me know.

Jess Jephcott, Colchester, Essex, England.
sdapeze

Re: Roll of Honour - missing soldier

Postby arboskittler » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Sidney George Innis

Date of Death = 24/03/1920 (aged 25)

Son of E M Innis of 56 York Place Worcester (and the late H J Innis)

Husband of Mary J Innis of 21 Lansdowne Road, Worcester.

He is buried in Astwood Road Cemetery, Worcester - Grave Reference is 8341.

Andy.
arboskittler

Postby sdapeze » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks Andy.
sdapeze

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I have access to a well know online genealogy package if you'd like a copy of the details of his birth registration and his medal card - DM me if so! :)

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby sdapeze » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks Simon. If you can add anything to what has already been given, I would very much welcome it. I have traced the family tree back to the 18th century but more recent history is often the most difficult to pin down. I write this an hour after having returned from Colchester High Street where the Parachute Regiment have been marching to mark their Freedom of the Borough. A proud day for Colchester!
sdapeze

Postby Simon_Fielding » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 pm

My email is simonharveyfielding*yahoo.co.uk *=@

I'll get what here is ready for you.

Colchester must be used to parades having been a garrison town since the 1st century!

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Just as a matter of interest some years ago I visited the grave of Harry Innis on behalf of my old Sunday School teachers wife...it was before the days of digital photography and I know I gave the photo away and the lady I gave it to died a few years ago, however I will check negatives when I have time .
gilbo139

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 am

Still happy to pursue this - email me! :)

Simon
Simon_Fielding

Return to First World War