Gallipoli diaries 4th battalion Worcs

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

4th Battalion Regimental diaries 1916

Postby flopsy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:43 am

Hello Steve

Just a couple of questions about Edward Edwards. Do you know if he served in Gallipoli with the 4th? Do you know his army number? If so you can check his medal record on Ancestry and that will show if he went to Gallipoli.
That may help to narrow it down. I am away for a couple of days now, but I will get back to you.

I also plan to go to NA next week (crazy I know but a cousin is over from Ireland who wants to do research!) so I will order the 4th diary for their time in France and will look up the date of his death to see if he is mentioned there.

Best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Re: Gallipoli 6th August 1915

Postby flopsy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am

?="smitd09"? I've noted the diaries comments on 6th August 1915 - 3rd Krithia - the day my Grandfather was wounded. Is there any mention of him by name Pte 19739 Fredrick Harrison ?

I'm told the losses to the 4th on that day are the worst losses to a British Regiment ever... is this true?

I am returning to Krithia in April 2010 and will be willing to photograph any grave - cemetary - view any one wishes. I currently have some pictures of the area and grave stones of Worcester men both 4th & 9th as well as a current view of the British lines at Worcester Hill - Krithia

?/?

Hello David

I haven't found any list of names of wounded for the 6th August battles.
As the figures mentioned suggest it was virtually the whole Battalion that was killed, wounded or lost, so it's doubtful a record could be kept under those conditions.
I do intend to go to NA next week and hope to order a copy of the Gallipoli diaries to look at myself, just to check nothing is missing from the copy I have. I'll let you know if I find out any more about 6th August.

I would welcome a chance to see your photos of the area that the 4th fought in in Gallopi.

Best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Re: 4th Battalion Regimental diaries 1916

Postby kiwi_steve » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I know he served at Gallipoli and in Egypt, but I'm unsure who with... I'm assuming at this point that it was with the 4th. I don't have an army number for him tho. He joined the war in 1915 according to my source (its an NZ Clergy directory) and his death was on the 31st (although according to the roll on the site here it was the 30th?).

Thanks for your help Anne, I feel like I owe him this research on behalf of our Troop... And I would like to know some more about him... how he came to leave the Church in favour of joining the war effort (and why a medic and not a chaplain?). Did he marry? Are there relatives?... So many questions...

I will also make a new post in the WW1 section (I tried yesterday but it wouldn't post) about him.

Thanks again

Steve

?="flopsy"? Steve

Just a couple of questions about Edward Edwards. Do you know if he served in Gallipoli with the 4th? Do you know his army number? If so you can check his medal record on Ancestry and that will show if he went to Gallipoli.
That may help to narrow it down. I am away for a couple of days now, but I will get back to you.

I also plan to go to NA next week (crazy I know but a cousin is over from Ireland who wants to do research!) so I will order the 4th diary for their time in France and will look up the date of his death to see if he is mentioned there.

Best wishes
?/?
kiwi_steve

Re: Gallipoli diaries 4th battalion Worcs - Pte. George Scri

Postby Williamson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi.

I am researching Pte. 21387, (Wilfred) George Scrivens, 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, born Broadway in 1885, died Gallipoli 6th August 1915.

Most of the war reports I have read state that the 4th Worcesters arrived at Cape Helles in April but George's medal card has a date of 13th July 1915. Does anyone know whether some of the companies arrived later than others?

George wrote home on 22nd July and his letter gives the impression that he had just arrived as he starts "We have landed at base after a splendid voyage".

George died on 6th August, would this have been during the 3rd Battle of Krithia? Any information about his whereabouts gratefully received.

George is commemorated on Helles Memorial and the war memorial in Broadway. I am writing a book about the memorial and am writing a short biography about George. If anybody has any photos they are willing to share (they would be credited) I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,

Debbie
Broadway Remembers - Researching the men listed on Broadway's War Memorial who died in the Great War
Williamson

Re: Gallipoli diaries 4th battalion Worcs

Postby Mark Rogers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 am

Hi there

Have you any information on Pte Percy Robert Harrison No 15441 4th Btn KIA 4th Jun 1915?

Thanks

Mark
Mark Rogers

Postby smitd09 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

George Scrivens
I have a photo of the Helles tablet where his name is inscribed, if you're interested.
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Postby Mark Rogers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks for that, but I was in Gallipoli in January and managed to take a photo of the Memorial and the tablet where his name appears

Mark
Mark Rogers

Postby ianrose82 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi
I have just discovered a 2nd cousin, James Holden who was KIA on 6/8/1915 at Gallipoli. His number was 23017 and he was a Private in the 4th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment.
I would be grateful for any further information that anyone may have.

Thanks

Ian
ianrose82

Postby beardie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:23 am

hi ian,
i have a rather poor newspaper clipping on james holden from the midland chronicle confirming he was 17 when he went missing. it states he enlisted in oxford and bucks l.i. 26th march 1915 , after 4 months training he was transferred to the worcesters. the article states that pte holden was one of the chronicles 'newsboys' before enlisting.

beardie
steve beard
beardie

Postby rickhuss » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello,
I am looking for any information or a photograph of my Great Uncle, James Greenway no 19107, 4th batt killed 4th December 1915, he was 21 years old. He was from Dudley.
rickhuss

Postby John(txic) » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:24 pm

James' name is recorded on the clock tower war memorial on Priory Street, Dudley. According to records, he lived at 17 School Street, Dudley.
John(txic)

Postby rickhuss » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Hello,
Thanks, yes I have a photograph of that and his family my Fathers Mother continued to live in school street until about 1963, but I cannot find any other information on him as regards his service records, or medal card, I only know his name is on the Helles memorial, and a kind couple who are going there later in the year are going to take a photo of his name for me. Does anyone have any photo's of the battalion on their way to Gallipoli, or a copy of the war diaries where his name may be mentioned ?.
rickhuss

Postby Allyson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi, my great great uncle Alfred Edward Hardiman was originally in the 1st Batallion and then the 4th. He was a lance corporal and he was killed on 6th August 1915 in Gallipoli. He is remembered on the Helles Memorial and his regimental number was 11789, does anyone have any information as to what happened to him?
Allyson

Postby beardie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 am

Allyson wrote:
> Hi, my great great uncle Alfred Edward Hardiman was originally in the 1st
> Batallion and then the 4th. He was a lance corporal and he was killed on
> 6th August 1915 in Gallipoli. He is remembered on the Helles Memorial and
> his regimental number was 11789, does anyone have any information as to
> what happened to him?

the county express has a article on mrs Hart of Bott lane, Lye on her brothers and inlaws which mentions that Alfred Hardiman 'chum' had sent her a letter saying he had been wounded/killed
steve beard
beardie

Postby Allyson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:53 pm

That sounds like the article I have been looking for....where could I get a copy of that?
Allyson

PreviousNext

Return to First World War