Casualty Lists

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby beardie » Tue May 11, 2010 12:19 am

jim,
there used to be a copy at halesowen library, hopefully its still there! page 293 to 295 covers the action. quite a bit on pte dancox winning his vc but a good overview

steve
steve beard
beardie

38312 Pte George Stokes - 4th Battalion

Postby jimwilliams » Tue May 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Steve
Like I said - a veritable mine of information!

Thanks very much indeed, I will certainly follow that up.

I have discovered that a special placque explaining Pte Dancox's actions was unveiled at the site of Namur Crossing in 2006 by his grandson (also Fred Dancox!) so I am hoping I will be able to see that as well.

Many thanks
Jim
I am interested in all aspects of the Third Ypres Campaign in 1917
jimwilliams

Postby cankamm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 am

This is amazing. I have only just stumbled upon this Worchestershire Regiment web site and of course this forum. My grandfather fought with the regiment during the WW1 and I have very little infomation regarding his time in the war.
This is the information that I do have:

Private Walter Edward Harrison #26031
Honourable Discharged 21st June, 1919
Wounded during service

He received the Silver War Badge which I have, but his name is not listed as such on the Worchestershire Regiment web site.

I believe that he was from (or at least lived in) Bromsgrove.

What I have read so far on the forum has shown that many members have done extensive research and any information that could be passed on to me would be very appreciated.

Thanks from Canada
cankamm

Casualty List 1916

Postby Llamafarmer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi

Just found out my great grandfather was evacuated to India from Mesopotamia in August 1916. He served with 9th Battalion Worcester Regt and his number was 9359. Im not sure if he was injured or whether he became ill. Im also a bit confused because he joined the 12th battalion training at home Worcesters in August 1914, yet his attestation of short service mentions the Royal Warwickshires. He served with the 4th batt Worcesters at Gallipoli in 1915, was evacuated with them to egypt in 1916 but injured/ became ill with the 9th Batt Worcesters in 1916. He then transferred to the 1st Garrison Batt Royal Warwickshires when he was discharged from India where his number changed to 32263 (shown wrongly on ancestry as 37263)

He was from Birmingham so i would have assumed he would have joined the Warwickshires not the Worcesters. Were the two regiments interchangeable? He defiantely joined up in Birmingham. Would he have volunteered in 1914? I didnt think it was compulsory till 1915? Any information would be appreciated
Llamafarmer

38312 george stokes

Postby peterjoynes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:41 pm

jim please contact ref the above.

only found this site today.
George joined up with Edward Joynes 38291
Edward married Georges sister after the war Ihave loads more information please contact

Regards.

Peter Joynes.
peterjoynes

Postby allanp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Peter

I have found an entry in the Worcester Herald 17th November 1917 edition of:-

38291 Pte E. Joynes – Rednal - Wounded

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby peterjoynes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Alan thanks for the information have you any more details?
peterjoynes

Postby allanp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Sorry Peter

That is the only entry that I have.

Casualty lists, from August 1915 stopped reporting the Hospital and the wounds of a Soldier and after March 1916, did not show the Battalion that a man was in. But from May 1916 they did start to show the home town. This was to reduce any useful information getting to the enemy.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby peterjoynes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Alan.

Many thanks for your help, will keep watching this site

Regards.

Peter.
peterjoynes

Postby stv1x » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi, First post and fascinated by the details that are available. Herbert Ernest Brown (6204) was my Great Grand Uncle. The information I have found is that he was a CSM and died on the 10th August 1915 in Gallipoli.

Is there any further information on how he died that someone can point me in the right direction to retrieve?

Many thanks
Steve
stv1x

Postby allanp » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Steve

I have found 2 enties for you Great Uncle in the Worcester Herald.

18th September 1915 edition
6204 Comp Sergt Major H. E. Brown - Missing - 9th Battalion

9th October 1915 edition
6204 Co Sergt Major H. E. Brown 9th Batt - Belived Killed

10th August 1915

At dawn on August 10th the enemy on the crest line above the position of the 9th Worcestershire opened fire and commenced a bombing attack. Great bombs were rolled down the mountain side to burst in our lines. Then the enemy came over the crest of the ridge in wave after wave of
densely packed troops, their bayonets glittering in the sun as they topped the ridge. Firing as rapidly as possible the 9th Worcestershire held their ground, meeting and repulsing rush after rush.
For some three hours a desperate struggle raged. By 7.0 a.m. Colonel Nunn had been killed and most of the senior officers of the Battalion had also fallen. Captain G. W. Rolph, mortally wounded, continued to inspire his men to the last, firing his revolver up the slope as he lay. At last, when nearly all the officers and most of their men were down, the remnant of the 39 th Brigade fell back from the exposed front line on the slope to the more sheltered position in the dead ground at the head of the ravine. There the 9th Worcestershire were re-organized by Captain Munnick.
On the left flank the garrison of " Gurkha Redoubt " commanded by Captain W. D. Gibbon, beat off all attacks, and maintained their position until darkness fell. They inflicted heavy loss on the enemy with their machine-guns ; and indeed the Turkish loss was enormous. The dense waves of their battalions as they plunged down the slope were smashed by the shells of the Fleet and raked from Rhododendron Spur by a New Zealand machine-gun battery. The Turks fell in swathes, and presently their attack withered away; but they had achieved their object. They had recaptured the crest of Chunuk Bair and had driven the British attacking troops back from their goal.
Meanwhile every available man had been ordered up from reserve. " C " Company of the 9th Worcestershire were the only reserve unit of the 39th Brigade, and its platoons had been dispersed as picquets over wells and dumps in the gully. When orders came down, those platoons made their
way up the ravine, as also did every available man of Battalion Headquarters, led by the Quartermaster, Lieut. C. H. Inwood. Lieut. Inwood led his collection of cooks and orderlies most bravely through a fierce and accurate fire along the gully and up the ravine to the firing line, bringing bandoliers of ammunition and tins full of water which enabled the defence to be continued.
In the reorganization of the defence Captain N. K. Street of the Regiment, Staff Captain .of the 39th Brigade, was conspicuous by his bravery. He rallied stragglers of all regiments and led them up the hill to a level stretch known as " The Farm," where the fighting was desperate.
There he continued to direct and inspire their resistance until he was killed.

Hope this helps

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby stv1x » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Thank you Allan! The picture is vivid and the chaos of the day equally imagined.

I see on both entries that there is an implied 'we believe that Herbert Brown came to harm'. Does this indicate that his body was not recovered or is this generally the way deaths were reported?

Thank you again
Steve (Brown)
stv1x

Postby allanp » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Steve

I have checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site and have found this:-

Husband of Florence May Lampton (formally Brown) of 65 Glengarry Rd, East Dulwich, London.

Helles Memorial Panel 104 to 113

This Memorial is to the missing so they were unable to identify Herbert’s body.

Soldiers Died in Great War shows that Herbert was born and enlisted in Birmingham.

Hope this helps

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby stv1x » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Yes, the Browns originated at this time from Birmingham, Herbert Ernest Brown enlisted when he was 21 years of age, in 1900, and I have the details of that enlistment.

What I didn't know, which you have uncovered, is that he was married. Reading the extracted details that you have provided above, is this suggesting that Florence remarried, i.e. became a 'Lampton' after the death of Herbert or that her maiden name was Lampton prior to marrying Ernest? Sorry to take this off topic but you can see the ambiguity in the extracted information that you have so kindly gleaned from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. In any event you have provided information that was previously unknown to me for which I am sincerely grateful as it enables me to research his past even further.

Regards
Steve
stv1x

Re: Casualty Lists

Postby mrman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi
Maybe a bit late on this as the post is old now, but I was wondering if anything could be found for my great grandad

Andrew George Harrison Reg No. 9807

I believe he was sent home due to gas but not sure. If anything turns up I would be most grateful. He was in 2/8 th battalion. He was discharged 28.9.18

Thank you
mrman

PreviousNext

Return to First World War