understanding MICs

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

understanding MICs

Postby moysiegirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:44 am

hi,wonder if anyone can help me.Ive got 2 photos in my family history box of 2 soldiers who i think were in a Worcestershire reg,though the photos are so faded that they show no details of the uniform.
However Iam interested to see if Charles Simons was on a casuallty list,he was born in Flyford Flavell,worcs,in 1885,and was cited on the 1911 census as Invalid at home,and Im wondering if he injured in the Boer war?oops realised im on the wrong part!My other one is from ww1,Hubert George Simons,b1888,Coldstream guards reg 4029,sgt.I have a copy from ancestry where he seems to have got 3 medals,incl 14 star.however there are details on his MIC which i dont understand,eg his rank seems to be changed later to A/WOGL1?could someone help me understand this?
The two soldiers are my gtgt uncles and i would love to find out about them,as everyone who could tell me are long gone.
Thanks for reading this post
moysiegirl

Postby scully » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi,

I had a look at his medal card and the referrence actually reads:
A/W.O. CL1 (sometimes it may look slightly different on the medal card due to different handwriting styles, which is the case on this one) which means Acting Warrant Officer Class 1 which would suggest that at the time he was Acting Regimental Sergeant Major.

I see also that he was awarded the D.C.M. (Distinguished Conduct Medal) which was recorded in the London Gazette on the 14th January 1916. He was later awarded a bar to the D.C.M. (meaning he won the medal twice) this event was also recorded in the London Gazette on the 22nd October 1917.

Hope this helps,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Thank you!

Postby moysiegirl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks scully for replying.Ireally hope this is MY Hubert george Simons,I need to find out his next of kin to verify this,there appear to be some papers on National Archive,but he seems to be listed on Admiralty,Rnavy reg of seamens services?
Im reluctant to cough up my £3.50 in case its another wild goose chase!
I will see if I can get a copy from London gazette,I used to shelve these away when I worked in a library!
Thanks for your help.
moysiegirl

Hubert Simons Coldstream Guards

Postby moysiegirl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm

I have PlumPudding the London gazette mentions,so thanks for putting me in the right direction.
moysiegirl

Return to First World War