Thomas BALLARD: No 4401: 241431 Why Dual Numbers? Battalion?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Thomas BALLARD: No 4401: 241431 Why Dual Numbers? Battalion?

Postby Jane Jackson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:25 pm

I am currently researching the BALLARD family, born in Sambourne, Alcester and Redditch, the family of my Grandfather's first cousin Sarah Jane FOSTER and her husband Thomas. One son, the subject of a previous posting, was killed in Gallipoli with the Worcestershires.

The eldest son, Thomas BALLARD, was born in Sambourne near Redditch in 1895. During the First World War, the family lived in Studley. A very helpful reply to my earlier posting established that Thomas too served in the Worcestershire Regiment. He appears on the Medal Cards on Ancestry, and has 2 separate Regimental numbers, 4401 and 241431. He was awarded the Victory and War medals, but not the 1915 Star, so did not serve abroad until at least 1916.

In June 1918, Thomas was reported to be Missing. The report quotes the longer of the 2 Regimental numbers, Private 241431 Thomas BALLARD. However, I have found no evidence that he was killed, and he must have eventually re-emerged from the hospital, Prison Camp or where-ever else he was, because I BELIEVE that I have found his death in Bromsgrove Registration District, aged 71, in late 1966.

I have 2 burning questions regarding Thomas, which I would be really grateful to have answered:

1. Why does Thomas have 2 different Regimental numbers? Is there any significance to it?

2. Do the numbers give ANY hint as to which Battalion Thomas served in? I have no clue on this, there is no eveidence anywhere. And with no Battalion, I don't know WHERE he served. Obviously, I am very keen to know this.

Finally, if anyone has any pictures or cuttings that may be relevant, I'd love to see them.

Many thanks and best wishes

Jane Jackson.
Interested in FOSTER, BALLARD etc from Pershore, Evesham & Redditch.
Jane Jackson

Postby allanp » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Jane

I have found a reference in the Worcester Herald of:-

8th June 1918 - Missing
241431 Pte T. Ballard – Studley

31 August 1918 edition
241431 Pte T. Ballard – Studley
Prisoner of War

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby Jane Jackson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Allan, This is such exciting news, thank you so much.

How very exciting to find that he was a POW, rather than just MIA, and thank you so much for taking the time to pursue this for me. I am very grateful. The information does support my belief that I have found his death in the mid 1960s. I will now order the Death Certificate.

I am still no further forward as to his Battalion, which would help to establish where he was taken prisoner. I think I will put a new and specific plea about this on the site, in case someone can advise me.

Thank you again and best wishes

Jane
Jane Jackson

ballard

Postby Llamafarmer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:38 pm

My great grandfather changed his number twice too, however this was down to changing regiments. He went from 9359 in the Worcesters to 23363 in The Royal Warwickshires... Im not sure it would have changed if he changed battalions although it would have if he went from TA to regular....do you know if your relative changed regiments or was in a TA battalion? Ancestry may have his service records if you do a search that may tell you more. Dont be too disheartened though 60% are missing due to being burnt in the second world war as a result of incendiary bomb damage. Good luck
Llamafarmer

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 am

Hello Jane,
Pte. Ballard joined the Worcesters very late Oct 1915 or very early Nov 1915. He Joined the 1-8th Bn. (First the Eighth). Which was a Territorial Bn.. All the Territorial Bn.s in the British Army were renumbered and that is why he has two numbers. There is no useful signifiance in this. If you contact the International Red Cross in Geneva, they will be able to tell you when and where Pte. Ballard was captured and what P.oW. camp he was sent to. There is a long delay in getting this information though.
I have not done any research on Pte. Ballard, this is just off the cuff. Someone with access to Ancestry could tell you if his Service record still exists. Which would reveal all. But I do not think he was still in the 1-8th in 1918. The 1-8 were in Italy in May 1918 and not taking many casualties. I would say he was in the 3rd Bn. when captured but possibly the 1st.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Jane Jackson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Mike, Thank you very much for that. I will certainly try the Red Cross and it is useful to know that Thomas was a Territorial.

I actually have access to Ancestry myself but his record does not still exist, there is only a Medal Card and that gives his Regimental Numbers but not any detail regarding his Battalion unfortunately.

In fact, I could not determine which of the half dozen or so Thomas BALLARDs he was for certain (if any) until another very kind Worcestershires Website Poster, Allan, found the reference to him in the Worcester Herald - (in a reply to my previous posting about Thomas' brother Ernest who died at Gallipoli in the 9th Battalion). That made it clear which card was his.

I have now sent for what I believe to be Thomas BALLARD's Death Certificate, so I may have a little more information to post fairly soon.

Thank you again very much.

Best wishes

Jane Jackson
Jane Jackson

Service Numbers

Postby philrigger » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

My Grand dad also had 3 service numbers.

On enlisting in the Worc Regt in 1899 he was given the number 5663.

On rejoining the Worc Regt in 1914 he kept the same number.

On transfer to the Machine Gun Corps in 1915 he was given 2452.

On transferring back to the Worc Regt in 1917 he was given 46855.

Phil.
'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar'.
philrigger

Further information regarding Private Thomas BALLARD.

Postby Jane Jackson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

I have now obtained both the Death and Marriage Certificates for Thomas BALLARD.

He DID return home after being a POW, he married in Ipsley near Redditch in 1925 and died in 1966 aged 76-77. I am still in limbo as to WHICH battalion of the Worcesters he was with when he was captured, (and therefore where it happened) but hope that a trip to the National Archives in due course will solve that question finally.

Many thanks to all who helped me with this question.
Jane Jackson

Return to First World War