241431 Pte Thomas BALLARD, a POW. WHICH BATTALION WAS HE IN?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

241431 Pte Thomas BALLARD, a POW. WHICH BATTALION WAS HE IN?

Postby Jane Jackson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 pm

HELP!! BATTALION NEEDED!!!

I have made a couple of postings about my Grandfather's cousins, the BALLARDs of Studley (they were all born in Sambourne, Alcester and Redditch, but lived in Studley in the 1914-1918 period). Two of them, Thomas and Ernest served in the Worcestershire Regiment during the 1st World War; a third, Arthur served in the Royal Warwickshires. Ernest was killed at Gallipoli.

A very kind correspondent on this site has helped me to trace Thomas. Thomas seems to have been posted abroad after the begining of 1916, but on 8 June 1918 was listed as Missing and by the end of August was listed as a POW.

Worcester Herald 31 August 1918 edition
241431 Pte T. Ballard – Studley
Prisoner of War

I have found that he was awarded the Victory and War medals, and I am about to order what I suspect is his Death Certificate, in Bromsgrove Registration District, aged 71, in late 1966.

Unfortunately, I have NO IDEA as to which Battalion Thomas served in. All I have is his Regimental Number (two in fact, Regimental numbers, 4401 and 241431), but nothing about his Battalion, and so I do not know where he served. I therefore have no idea where he may have been captured. I assume he was a POW of the Germans, but he may have been captured by the Austrians or Turks for example.

PLEASE PLEASE can anyone help me identify his unit? Or how I can go about trying to identify it?

Many thanks

Jane Jackson
Interested in FOSTER, BALLARD etc from Pershore, Evesham & Redditch.
Jane Jackson

Return to First World War