63459 George Munsch

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

63459 George Munsch

Postby heathermunsch » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 pm

I have just discovered that my grandfather was in the Worcestershire regiment in WW1 and would love to know his battalion so that I can find out where he served. Thank you.
heathermunsch

Re: 63459 George Munsch

Postby scully » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Heather,

Private George Munsch (63459) was awarded 2 medals. The British War Medal and the Victory medal which would suggest that he did not entre the theatre of war till about 1916. He probably joined as part of a new draft of men to replace thoughs killed or wounded.
To find out which battalion he was with you will need to look at the Medal Rolls which are held at the National Archives at Kew. His reference number you will need is Roll number L 102 B20 Page 4529.

Is this the George H. Munsch who married Gertrude Cadge at Wandsworth, London in 1914 ?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby heathermunsch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, it's the George Henry Munsch you found - there aren't many of us Munschs about! I've already looked at the Medal roll and his battalion isn't on it. I understand from information on the National Archive site that this usually means that they served in France (which is what I have always suspected). I also thought that my grandad joined up in 1914. I contacted your site because I couldn't think of anywhere else I could look to find the information. I really want to know where in France he got to as there's a family story about a French mistress and so possibly a whole new arm of the family!
heathermunsch

Postby scully » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Heather,

There is only the Medal Index Cards available on the internet. Although sometimes these may give information on battalion and date of entry into theatre of war, in your case there was no infomation on the Index Card other than the medal roll number and medals. You will have to visit Kew in person to view the Medal Rolls which will give you more details, including his battalion. I gave you his medal roll number details on my previous reply which you will need to quote at Kew together with his name and army number.

The fact that he did not receive a Star medal means that he did not enter the theatre of war until 1916 or later. However he may have enlisted earlier and simply been based in the UK, this may be likely as he was about 23 years old in 1914.

The Medal Index Cards on the National Archives website give medals cards for all theatres of war so you can not assume he was in France. You really need to view the Full Medal Roll at Kew.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby heathermunsch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello Louis

I really appreciate your help. Kew was on my list of places I need to visit but it looks from what you've said that I'll be able to find out more than I had anticipated. I think my grandad did serve from 1914 but was sent somewhere in 1916. I hope to get down to Kew this summer and if I find out anything interesting I'll post it.

Best wishes
Heather
heathermunsch

Return to First World War