Percy Edward Dunn 238018

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Percy Edward Dunn 238018

Postby KRSorrell » Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I've found information on my great grandfathers medical record which indicates he joined the 1/7th Worcesters in the field 5 September 1917 with the rank of Sergent, and what appears to indicate Sergent Drummer? Before being transfered to the Gloucesters in 1918, with a note "for benefit of services". Any information relating to him, which company he was in, was he a drummer? would be appreciated.
KRSorrell

Re: Percy Edward Dunn 238018

Postby KRSorrell » Sat May 28, 2011 4:57 pm

A little bit more about myself, my name is Kevin, and I live in Northamptonshire. Percy Edward Dunn was my great grandfather on my dads, mothers side. He was born and bred in Cropredy, Oxfordshire, and at the date of his joining the unit in September 1917 he was 35 years old. He died in Banbury in 1971, when I was 14 years old, and I have to admit, I knew nothing about him serving in the 1st WW, and in speaking to my dad, Percy never mentioned anything to him, as he also was unaware that he'd served in WW1. The information on the WW1 Pensions Record is difficult to follow, particularly as there are dates on both the left and right hand sides of the Casualty Form - Active Service form, with some information in the middle. Hope this assists anyone who may be able to help.

kevin
KRSorrell

Postby arboskittler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Kevin.

I've a quick look and come up with the following (in no paricular order) which may help:-
Looks like Percy enlisted on 25/5/1915 (aged 32) into the 4th Glos. Service number 288040
His address at enlistment is given as 56 North Bar, Banbury.
He was a carpenter/wheelwright and employed by Burrows & Co of Cherwell Works, Banbury.
He was discharged in March 1919 having served for 9 months in Italy, 9 months in France, and 30 months in England.

3 August 1917 he was transferred to 46 IBD (Infantry Base Depot), given a new service number of 238018 and joined the 7th Worcs. He retained his rank as Sergeant (drummer from earlier).
Looks like on the 6 July 1918 he transferred to 1/6th Glos.

Other notes show that he complained of lung trouble, had some teeth loss, and suffered with 'piles'. These were blamed on 'Active Service Conditions'. In March 1917, he had scabies and was confined to the barracks 'scabies hut'.

There are also some names and dates noted.......Married Mar 1903, Gladys 28/6/03, Dorothy 11/10/04, William 16/08/07, ?? 5/9/14 and Frank 18/12/16 (are these relatives????)

Good luck. :)

Andy
arboskittler

Postby sorrellkr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks Andy,

as Percy was transfered to the Gloucesters, I've also been in contact with them, who sent the following:-

Posted to 1/7th Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment on the same day. His service number with the Worcesters was 201771, and he was confirmed in his rank of Sergeant Drummer. On 5th September 1917, he joined 1/7th Worcesters in the field, and on 23rd October 1917, he was attached to 1/6th Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment.

Also:

Percy Dunn was properly transferred, rather than attached, to 1/6th Gloucesters on 6th January 1918, while the brigade was in training at Sandrigo. His first service number with the Gloucesters was 238018, but this was probably a clerical error, having already been issued to someone else, and his number was later changed to 288040. They arrived at the Montebello sector in February 1918. Training continued throughout the spring until 23rd April when they went into the support trenches near Granezza. The situation remained quiet, through May, the battalion bring in and out of the front line near Magnaboschi. 1/6th Battalion saw its first serious action on the Italian Front in the summer around Canove and took part in a counterattack which stopped the Austrian offensive.

I've written to the Worcestershire Museum, and hope that they may come up with more detailed information, regarding which Company he was attached to , and further information regarding if he saw action, and where.
Unfortunately, although I have 1 photo of Percy from later years, no-one in the family has any photo's of him during service, nor any other information about him.

kevin
sorrellkr

Postby sorrellkr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 pm

The names you listed are relatives, the ?? was Florence, who was my gran, the others being her sisters and brothers.
sorrellkr

Return to First World War