14235 Pte William James TANDY, 2nd Bn, DoW 6/7/16

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

14235 Pte William James TANDY, 2nd Bn, DoW 6/7/16

Postby David Whithorn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:42 am

I am hoping you may be able to help me. I am helping to put a package of information together as a surprise 'report' for a friend who will be celebrating her 60th birthday and into family tree research. Her relative is 14235 Pte William James Tandy, 2nd Bn. who died of wounds on 6/7/16 and is buried in Lillers Cemetery. I have Stacke, which as ever is most useful. What I am really looking for are the details of the 2nd Bn. War Diary from 1-8 July 1916...in undertaking this, I have come across something else that was a little unexpected and something that can hopefully be put right as a tribute to this soldier.

I know William arrived in France on 27/5/15 as part of a draft for the 2nd Bn following the Battle of Festubert. He would have likely have taken part in the Battle of Loos near Cite St Elie. The battalion remained in the Loos/La Bassee sector throughout.

Stacke records a successful large trench raid by the 2nd Bn on the trenches in front of Auchy on the night of 1-2 July 1916. here are two recorded OR fatalities, 15 seriously injured and many more less so. From 'Soldiers Died' there were 7 OR fatalities. Two are buried side by side at Cambrin, four have no known grave and are commemorated on the Loos Memorial. The 7th died of wounds on 2/7/16 and is buried in Bethune Town cemetery. This would be sensible as the 33rd (Divn) CCS was based there. There is only one further recorded fatality, i.e. William Tandy on 6/7/16 buried at Lillers, before 15/7/16 when the battalion was engaged in the second phase of the Somme battle.

Following the Auchy Raid, Stacke gives the battalion was relieved on the night of the 2-3rd July and returned to billets at Beuvry, not that far from the front line. On the 6th July, the battalion marched back from Beuvry to Busnettes, between Bethune and Lillers. On 8th July, the battalion entrained at Lillers en route for the Somme.

If someone has access to the 2nd Bn War Diary between 1-8 July 1916, please could you check if there is a mention of any incident occurring between 2-6th July that resulted in casualties. Beuvry was certainly within shelling range.

Clearly, William could have been one of those seriously injured during the trench raid. Indeed he could have passed through the 33rd CCS in Bethune and was on his way further down the line (Lillers is next stop on the railway line back from Bethune), when he possibly died in transit or taken off the train at Lillers, succumbing in one of the hospitals there. I would just like to explore/rule out the possibility of a post-raid event at Beuvry.

William Tandy (according to Soldiers Died) was born in Worcester, enlisted in Worcester and gave his residence as Barbourne, Worcester. His parents address, as given on his CWGC entry, is indeed in Barbourne. I did find a lovely picture of the 1914-18 war memorial at the Parish Church in Barbourne. It was sad to find William's name is not listed there (there may be several reasons why, as we know). I also looked for his name on the Worcester Guild Hall memorial. He is not listed on this either. Given the size of the Barbourne memorial, it may not be possible for his name to be added. However, the website regarding the Guild Hall memorial did say some names have been added to this as researches have discovered suitable candidates - William Tandy of the Worcestershire regiment may indeed be one such. Any help/advise in trying to bring this about to finally honour this man in his home city would be gratefully received.

This website is really very good indeed. It is a few years since I wrote my little book on 'Uncle Albert' when the Regimental Museum staff were so helpful (no website then!). It is nice to find a page on this website about my book. I have always retained an interest in the Worcestershire regiment and always do my best to help people out regarding a soldier from this regiment (I never charge).

Here's hoping someone can help me once again!
David Whithorn

Re: 14235 Pte William James TANDY, 2nd Bn, DoW 6/7/16

Postby scully » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 am

Hi David,

I have sent you an email with the information you wanted.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby corona » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 am

Hi David,
Your man Pte. William James Tandy is commerated on the MALVERN LIBRARY MEMORIAL and at HALLOW CHURCH.
A photograph of him can be found in BERROWS WORCESTER JOURNAL SUPPLEMENT SAT.22nd.JULY 1916 available at the WORCESTER HISTORY CENTRE.
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby David Whithorn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:48 am

Thank-you so much for these very quick replies to date.

Louis - you are doing a really tremendous work here - Thank-you for the copies of the 2nd Bn. War diaries, however these were for 1-27th June 1916. Please, is there any chance of sending me the next few pages for the Auchy Raid and the immediate aftermath i.e. 1-8th July 1916? These earlier ones are a fascinating read of what a 'quiet' sector involved. Has anybody else noted in Stacke how the 2nd Bn. Divisional switch to 33rd Division is reflected in a sudden paucity of information Jan-Jun 1916 until Auchy and the Somme?

Corona - this is excellent news - it was awful to find his name missing. I will look up Hallows church and Malvern Library on the Internet to see if there are photographs. Thanks too for the reference to Berrows. I had wondered whether he might be here but feared he might not be as his death in the La Bassee sector would likely have been 'lost' due to the tremendous number of casualties associated with the opening of the much publisised Somme Offensive. I am not sure his relative has a photograph of him too!

Best Regards DW.
David Whithorn

Postby scully » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 pm

David,

Have emailed you the additional pages your require plus a few more.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

Your book on Uncle Albert is excellent and very moving David - there are a couple of Bewdley soldiers in the casualty lists at the end of it who I could tell you a little more about if you were interested.

Best

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby David Whithorn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Firstly, many thanks again to Louis for sending me the extra War diary entries on the 2nd Worcestershire. These have indeed cleared up what must have happened to William Tandy - there were no furher casualties in the three days the battalion was at Beuvry from shellfire etc.

We are indeed very fortunate to have such a forum and we who use it owe so much to Louis and the other moderators who continue to do an excellent work here. They are a true credit to the memory of the men who served with the Worcestershire in keeping these stories alive.

Simon, thank-you for your comments re 'Uncle Albert', I am so glad to say many people have found my book an inspiration to research their own relatives from the letters I have received over the years. At Thiepval, I still always visit Albert's name on the Worcestershire panel there. Once someone had left a poppy cross - written on it in a young person's hand was 'Uncle Albert - we all love you', I knew who it had been left for and was very moved. I would indeed like to hear more of your researches into these Bewdley men.

Best Regards.
David Whithorn

Return to First World War