Pte. Henry Dimmock 26926

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte. Henry Dimmock 26926

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Hello Colin,
Thought that name might get your attention. I was actually trying to reply to David on his Harold Ruffle posting but the system wont let me. Please take note Mr. Scully. When I try to click "reply" it just chucks me out. I was going to ask you Colin to explain to David about Stacke's Regimental History. All he wants to know is in there including two fotos of the 4th Bn. taken 31st October 1916 on the Somme. It is a Forum so come on in. I know you must have seen Stacke because of your note about only 3 men wounded between Nov 16th and Dec 11th 1916. It is note "G" on page 207. One of those wounded men was your Great-grandfather Henry Dimmock. But I have some surprising news for you ! For all of the years I have been researching the Worcesters, the casualty figures never add up. The burials by the War Graves Commission often are nowhere near the figures for deaths in the War diaries. Betwen Nov 16 and Dec 11th 1916, ten men died of Wounds. Eight are buried in Grovetown Cemetery, including Henry. But 12 men were killed in Action ! Check some out, Hopkins 40399, Grist 39774, Clarke 40379, Duffy 39736, Boon 10896. I will give you the others if you want them, later.
Regards Mike.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Re: Pte. Henry Dimmock 26926

Postby gilbo139 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 am

Mike, Just a very quick note because I am off to work...thanks very much for your post.... got an original copy of Stacke some years ago in a very roundabout way...its superb and before the advent of online researching I used it to trace the 4th and 2/8th which my other great Grandad was in and who survived... never read it cover to cover but on retirement I intend to.
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby gilbo139 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Mike or Allan,
Rather than hijack the Harold Ruffle post I,ve moved on to my Great Grandad Henry Dimmock.... yes Mike it did catch my eye when I saw his name. I have done a little research over the years,visiting Norton Barracks, the library and now the history centre. At one time I didn,t even have a photo of him but came across a poor quality one in the 6/1/17 edition of the Berrows illustrated journal... and also a small column in the Journal where my Great grandmother announced his death entitled 'A Worcester Hawker' Until joining this forum I didn't know about The Worcester Herald where Alan gets a lot of information from so although I have a copy of his M.I C. and know his service records didn't survive the blitz is there anything else out there for me ?
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Hello Colin,
There is definitely more out there but you need luck and the kind of stubborness these soldiers had to do the work. I know Henry Dimmock joined the Worcesters on or very close to January 1st 1916. His basic training should have been 16 weeks but was probably slightly less. So he will have gone to France early May of 1916. The next six months will have been "difficult" and as you know he died in November. He was a surprising volunteer, he was 43 years old when he died and presumably was married and had children ( I have not researched him fully). It is a case of looking in ALL likely places and when you do not find something in the first month DO NOT give up. You have got to try all local newspapers. Local to the Regiment and then local to the man's place of birth. My Grandfather Pte. Richard Marsh (Mention your relative whenever possible, keeps his memory alive) is not mentioned in any Worcester based newspaper. But there is a biggish story and foto in the Chatham news of 1914 His place of birth). Henry was born in Baldock, He. and enlisted in Blandford, Dor.. He seems to have moved about. I recently came across a Worcester parish magazine between 1914 and 1918. The detail in there about soldiers at the Front. Parcels sent to them, men wounded , killed etc.. Keep on looking But when looking make some notes that might help Peter, Allan, Corona and me. I do have a scrap book with 120 pages of fotos and stories in. All Worcester soldiers. I am currently data-basing it. If I come across Henry I will let you know.
Good luck Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby gilbo139 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Hello Mike,
Thanks for your input, it was interesting to read on you previous post about the discrepancy in casualty figures. Yes Henry did have a family living in a poor area of the St. Pauls parish of Worcester. It makes sad reading, looking through the parish records, of some of the short lives of a number of his children. I'm led to believe he had a son ,also called Henry, born in 1900, that at some point joined The Worcestershire Yeomanry but I cannot find any military records on Ancestry. His daughter, my Great Aunt told me that the vicar of St Pauls....Woodbine Willie, gave Henry's widow two shillings and sixpence to help her through the hard times....of course this may be a story but he did help out a number of his parishoners. I do try and do my bit in keeping the memory of the fallen alive on one occasion having three generations stood by Henry's grave at Grove Town.....Ill keep searching for more snippets,
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby corona » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Colin,
Henry Dimmock Jnr.has 2MIC Cards and a good set of pension papers on Ancestry.
His army career begins with the 5th Worcesters followed by service in the Worcester Yeomanry (Corps.of Hussars)
Next comes the Royal Scots and ends with the R.A.O. C.
A very interesting record, the details of which you should read for your self on Ancestry.
Regards,
corona.
corona

Postby gilbo139 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello Corona,
Thanks, don't know how I missed that, I'm not the best with technology but didn't think I was as bad as that, I'll take another look!
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Return to First World War