William Morris PTE 9555 2nd Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Re: William Morris PTE 9555 2nd Battalion

Postby peter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Ann,

I have informed them that you posted your message on this web site but will again make them aware of this on my next visit.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby woods105 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 am

Hello Peter
Sorry to trouble you again, but no-one has contacted me about the Gheluvelt Memorial Park inscriptions. Am I being too hasty in expecting a reply by now?

Regards
Ann
woods105

Postby peter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Ann,

They are very busy with requests for information and it maybe that it has just been over looked. I think your best bet would be to contact them direct on this issue you have about the Gheluvelt Memorial by email. Mark your email for the attention of John Lowles. The email address is :

museummercian@btconnect.com

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby woods105 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:06 am

Thank you Peter. As I thought, they are obviously very busy but I do think my observation about the Memorial inscriptions is important so I will do as you suggest and contact them direct.

Regards
Ann
woods105

Postby woods105 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:11 am

Hello Peter

I have received an email saying that a further post has been made on the topic of William Morris, but on checking there is nothing new. It was obviously a mistake so I got excited for nothing!

Bye the bye, I did contact John Lowles at the Worcester Archives who said that I was not the only person to comment about the inscriptions on the memorials at Gheluvelt Park. He said he had passed my comments to the Mayor of Worcester in the hope that something will be done before the 100th anniversary in 2014. I assumed that I would get an email from the Mayor, but no doubt with all the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in the U.K. he/she has been rather busy. I will give it a bit longer and then contact John Lowles again to follow up.

If the email "alert" was not a mistake and there is something new relating to William Morris please let me know.
Regards
Ann Woods
Melbourne, Australia
woods105

Postby peter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi Ann,

Glad to hear that at last you have heard from John regarding the memorial in Gheluvelt Park. With all the cut backs on spending (local councils etc) I don't hold out much hope that anything will be done regarding this issue.

With regards to new information (posting) on William I've not seen or heard anything but will of course let you know should any new details become available.

You could contact the Mayor yourself on the following;

www.worcester.gov.uk/mayorsblog/?page_id=147

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby gilbo139 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 am

Hello Ann,
I've followed your post since the start and thought you may like to know there was an article in the local free newspaper, dated 27/9/12, reference the etched names on the Gheluvelt memorial. You should be able to access it on www.berrowsjournal.co.uk
Any problems let me know and I will scan it for you.
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby higgitt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Ann,

I'm following up a general posting I made to the Worcestershire Regiment forum, a few weeks ago, regarding the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Gheluvelt in 1914.
It explained that, as two former journalists on the Worcester Evening News (now Worcester News), a colleague and I are in the early stages of planning a radio documentary to mark the centenary of the battle in 2014.
Cultivating the interest of the BBC will be no easy task. We've made an initial approach, but -- before taking the next step – we know that we have to put a synopsis and treatment together.
In order to do that, we need to plug one gap in the research. That's adding the 'flesh and blood' element that comes with being able to focus on a family or families whose forebears took part in the charge on the chateau.
I'm now making contact with people who've posted messages on this forum trying to establish whether their fathers / grandfathers / uncles / great-uncles were among the chargers.
In this particular case, it's because this thread mentions William Morris, who is named in regimental records as having been in 2nd Battalion and who died on October 31, 1914.
I'm hoping two things. Firstly, that you'll have family documents that can deliver personal testimony (perhaps in the form of memoirs or letters) to the growing story. Secondly, that – if you do – you'll be interested in helping to move this early research on to a new level and provide our approach to the BBC with some direct link back to that historic day.
This is very early in the process, I must stress. But I'd be delighted to hear from you if you feel able and willing to help us produce a compelling proposal to the BBC for what will, of course, be the only chance to mark this remarkable moment in world history.
Thanks in anticipation and kind regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Warwickshire
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Postby woods105 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:34 am

Hello Mark

I have not been on the forum for some while as I thought I was alerted to new postings by email. I did get a couple of emails but there were no new postings, hence my lack of access to the forum.

With the up-coming 100 year anniversary of the battle of Gheluvelt I decided to login and have seen your old message from December 2012 about the approach to the BBC. I am interested to know whether you had any luck in getting the BBC to do something to mark the anniversary of the battle. Unfortunately I am not able to help in any practical sense with photos or letters etc. All I have is a timeline of the life of William Ewart Gladstone Morris, Private 9555 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, from my genealogical research.

I was one of the people who complained about the names on the Gheluvelt Memorial not being legible, and was very pleased to see on a visit last October that steps had been taken to pick out the names in paint so they can be seen against the rusty background.

My name was given by John Lowles at the Mercian Museum to a film producer who, like you, hoped to interest BBC television in a film he hoped to make about the battle. I don't know whether he had any success.

Again, apologies for the very long delay in responding. If I don't get an email alert, I will check the forum more regularly.
Regards
Ann Woods
Melbourne, Australia
woods105

Previous

Return to First World War