Missing from Military Cross medal record

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Missing from Military Cross medal record

Postby raydunnett » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:05 pm

My uncle, Raymond Frederick Dunnett, appears on the roll of members of the regiment and his Military Cross is shown there. He got the award following action on 15th July 1916 in the first battle of the Somme and I have his medal. However he does not appear in the regimental list of those awarded the Military Cross. Is this an oversight?
raydunnett

Re: Missing from Military Cross medal record

Postby scully » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. His name was missing from the information I had with regards Military Cross.

I have now added his details to the Military Cross roll on this website.

He was a Reserve Officer of the 5th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who was posted to the 2nd Battalion and fought with them in the Somme. I think he was awarded the Military Cross (London Gazette date 1st January 1917) for his actions at High Wood, Somme on the 15th July 1916. He was later wounded at the Battle of Delville Wood on the 24th August 1916.

Back in the U.K. after recovering from his wounds it seems he have transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and on the 17th november 1917 died in the U.K.

Do you have any details of how he died and what he was doing at the R.F.C. ? Do you have a citation for his M.C. ?

Also would you have a photo of him you could email me ?

His name was not listed in the Military Cross roll in the official Regimental History by Major Stacke. The book is featured on the website in the book section in the "RESEARCH" dropdown list select "Books" then select "1st World War" then select "Great War 1914-18" On that page I have included ammendment to the Regimental history book. I have added details of Lieut Dunnett with reference to page 528 so that any one with a copy can add his details on that page.

There is a section on the website about Worcestershire Regiment men who joined the R.F.C. Lieut. Dunnett is listed on that page and with his M.C.

Thanks again for letting me know.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby LarsA » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Louis,
Judging by the London Gazette date the MC is a new years honour, I think there will not be a citation to find on it because of this. Perhaps any letters still with the family give some background on this?

ATB,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby allanp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Ray

I have found this information in the Worcester Herald

9 September 1916 edition
Wounded
Lieu R. F. Dunnett

6th January 1917 edition
Military Cross
Lieu Raymond F. Dunnett Worcestershire Regiment Special Reserve

Unfortunatly no citation.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby yeadon8 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi Ray - I have only just come across this discussion regarding your uncle Raymond Dunnett who died 17/11/1917 in an air accident. By sheer coincidence I have been researching him (and to a lesser extent his brother Lawrence who also died in 1918) but have got stuck and I was hoping you or someone else involved in the discussion can help me. I cannot find any evidence of an inquest held after his death in any references at the National Archives. Am I looking in the wrong references? There must have been an inquest into what happened so can you or anyone guide me towards the relevant papers. -Doug
yeadon8

Postby Cresswell » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello Ray,
During my recent research of men on the Rotherwick WW1 memorial I came across two members of your family Raymond and Lawrence Dunnett on the Hartley Wintney memorial. For some time I have wanted to write a book about the early years of flying and the RFC/RAF in WW1, centered around a few individuals, telling their story but also with details of the times they grew up in.
I think the lives of Raymond and Lawrence would be fascinating to tell and I was wondering if you had information of Raymond and Lawrence that you would be willing to share with me?
Kind regards,
Andy Cresswell

Rotherwick, Hampshire
Cresswell

Return to First World War