3rd Worcestershire WW1 {George V. Huzzey 6355}

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

3rd Worcestershire WW1 {George V. Huzzey 6355}

Postby lee johnson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I have now spent the best part of two years researching my Gt.Grandfathers journey from 1914 to 1918 when he was captured and his trail across the Western Front with the 3rd Battalion. It is only intended as a personal history and one of the directions I would like it to take now is a map detailing the places the Battalion went. I anticipate is showing that over a 4 year period they didn't really move too far. My question is, is has anyone done anything similar. I plan on finding a map of the area, propably a contempory one and overlaying the route of the Regiment.
Anyone tried anything similar?

I also asked a couple of years ago if anyone could assist with any details on Gardelegen Prison Camp, his stated, {but now doubted} service in the Boar War and details other than the London Gasette details of his MM.
Thanks Lee
lee johnson

George Huzzey

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:23 am

Hello Lee, thank you for your good wishes on my own research. I am sure I remember you from the old Forum. Anyhow, I rekon George enlisted in May 1901, which is earlier than your research suggests and means he could have been in the Boer War! Have you checked the relevant medal rolls? Do you know when and where he was taken prisoner? With regard to the movement of the 3rd battalion during WW1, I have never seen such a map. I would be interested to see the results and have a copy for my own records, please. I did do some research on the 3rd Bn.'s locations but only for the start and finish of the war. The first man in the 3rd Bn. to be killed in action was on the 23rd August 1914 and the last was on 8th November 1918. By a strange twist of irony they both had the surname Pearce and are successive entries in the Worcesters section of Soldiers Died. They died only 6 miles apart! There are lots of records on PoW's, the best are held by the Red Cross in Geneva but they do charge to look. The last point you make about your Gt. grandfathers Military Medal. I to have had this trouble, I know a man won the M.M. but can find no record of what he did to win it. Is there anyone out there who can tell us where to look for such information, please? Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby lee johnson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:15 am

Thanks Mike, the May 1901 sounds interesting?

I have been in contact with Geneva and did find an entry for him on a document at the relevant prison camp so I know he was there. He was captured on the 13.4 18 according to there records and according to the Battalion War diary casualty list there was one man posted as missing that day. So in a round about way my Gt Grandfather does have a personal enrty in the diaries.
I have checked the medal rolls which don't help a great deal, but I will keep beavering away. I did wonder if there was an equivalent German organisation which may yield further information, if there is I have not found any mention of them?

Regards Lee
lee johnson

Postby Martin Newman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am

Hi Lee,

I have been researching the 3rd Batt during July,Aug and Sept 1917 and have published a book about it. You can find details on the "Books" link on this site under "Recognition (Worcestershire Regiment, August 1917) "
I am always interested in any details related to the 3rd Batt in general, so it would be very interesting to share knowledge. I am trying to find out if anybody knows what Companies the casualties were in on the 11th of Aug 1917....Norton sadly have no details.

All the best,

Martin.
ERROR://utter.com/WW1IEPER1917
Martin Newman

Postby Edwin Astill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 pm

If you are still interested in the 3rd Battalion's whereabouts I could furnish some information from some of my material. I know this original posting dates from October - before my time!

Edwin
Edwin Astill
Edwin Astill

Postby peter » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Lee

I came across your Gt. Grandfathers name in the Worcester Herald in the list of wounded men from the Worcestershire Regiment. I think the date of the paper was Saturday November 7th so he would have been wounded a month or so before and was already back at a hospital in England.
6355 Pte. G. Huzzey

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby lee johnson » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Peter,

I would be very grateful if you could shed some more light on this, would you be able to Email me on my own address. Having worked on this for sometime this really is good news. That having been said it doesn't really make sense with regard to the dates. Could you help me out with who I contact to get details of the paper as I would be very keen to get a copy of the newspaper.

Thank you very much once again.

Lee

leejohnson1@talktalk.net
lee johnson

Postby lee johnson » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 pm

Edwin Astill,

If you're out there still I have just seen your post, yes I would be very very interested in anything you have, please use my Email address below and perhaps we could exchange if you have a similar interest.

Regards Lee

leejohnson1@talktalk.net
lee johnson

Return to First World War