Pte. William Warrilow 22535 2nd Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte. William Warrilow 22535 2nd Battalion

Postby martinwarrilow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm

I have been researching my great grandfather who fought with the Worcestershire Regiment. I have seen the fantastic work people have been doing on these boards, and am hoping that someone will be able to shed a little light on my relative. I am really hoping for a photograph of William and any records of him, i know that might be wishful thinking, but if anyone can help it would be fantastic.

I am also interested in seeing the war diaries from this period, to get a better understanding of what happened.

Name: William Warrilow
Born: 26 March 1893 in Aston, Birmingham
Worcestershire Regiment, 2nd Batallion
Regimental Number: 22535
Date of entry: 04.10.15
Killed in action 28.02.1916

I know he is buried at Cambrin in France, and i have been to visit his grave. I also have British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards.

I have tried to include all the information i have.

Many thanks

Martin Warrilow
martinwarrilow

Re: Pte. William Warrilow 22535 2nd Battalion

Postby martinwarrilow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

I have also contacted Worcestershire Archive & Archaeology Service, but i think they are closed for relocation until July.

Thanks.
martinwarrilow

Postby scully » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Martin,

Below are some details for the 2nd Battalion covering period January to May 1916. I am currently working on some pages that will be on the website later.
Regards,

Louis (webmaster)

Ten miles to the south-eastward, the 2nd Battalion had a more strenuous time around Bethune. The New Year found the 33rd Division holding the trenches on both banks of the La Bassee Canal; and the 2nd Worcestershire spent January and February (1916) either in the line in one or other section of that front, or in billets further back. The Battalion went into trenches on New Year's Day at Givenchy just north of the Canal. Three days of shells and bombs cost the Battalion several casualties (4 killed, 4 wounded) and a severe loss in the death of the Regimental Chaplain, the Rev. J. R. Stewart C.F., who was killed by a shell while officiating at a burial service close behind the line.The "Padre" was beloved by all. No trouble was ever too great for him, no risk daunted him. His bravery at the battle of Loos had earned him the admiration of the whole Battalion.
After three days in reserve at Annequin' the Battalion took over the trenches immediately south of the Canal from the 1st Queen's. Those trenches and the ruined houses in close support were held until 14th January (Casualties Coy.-Quartermaster-Sergt. J. Wills killed and 7 wounded) when the Battalion was relieved and marched back to billets in Bethune. A more trying period was now at hand. Leaving Bethune on Sunday January 23rd the 2nd Worcestershire relieved the 2nd Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders in the right hand section of the 33rd Division's line, the trenches facing Auchy. In that sector the Battalion was in front line January 23rd-29th and January 31st-February 7th. In the interval the Battalion was billetted in Annequin.There the existence in the muddy trenches was made very unpleasant by constant artillery fire and several mines. On January 28th a heavy bombardment whichfollowed the explosion of a small mine cost the Battalion 4 killed and 20 wounded.

A sharp crater fight near the line of the Battalion on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of February luckily brought the Worcestershire no serious casualties: the bulk of the loss fell on the 2nd Royal Welch Fusiliers, who attacked with great dash through the line held by the Battalion. On the evening of February 7th (on that day 7th Feb 1916, Major A. Whitty D.S.O. joined the 2nd Battalion as Quartermaster) the Battalion was relieved and marched back to billets in Bethune. The fortnight in the Auchy sector had cost the Battalion 8 killed and 45 wounded. A week later the 100th Brigade moved forward again, and after five days in billets at Annequin (February 13th-18th) the Battalion took over the Cuinchy trenches just south of the Canal. Two days later a German mine was exploded near our front line and sharp bombing fights followed. Apart from a three days' rest in Annequin (February 22nd-25th) the Battalion held the Cuinchy trenches until February 28th. Casualties 2nd Worcestershire February 18th-28th—3 killed, 17 wounded

After a week of rest (February 29th—March 8th in Annequin and Oblinghem) the Battalion again took over trenches south of the Canal. Fighting in that sector had died down; presumably because the high explosive required for mines was needed at more vital sectors of the battle-front. The Cuinchy trenches were not uncomfortable and the weather had improved. Thenceforward the Spring months of 1916 brought no event of note to the 2nd Worcestershire. The Battalion remained in the area around Bethune, holding trenches at one part or another of the front just south of the LaBassee Canal. Twice the companies had a definite rest (from 25th March to the 3rd April, from the 17th May to the 8th June.), lying in billets at Annequin or in Bethune itself. At other times, when temporarily out of the line the Battalion was billetted either in close support at Annequin or in reserve at Beuvry. No heavy fighting occurred during that period, nor were casualties heavy. In March the losses totalled 4 killed and 17 wounded, in April 2 killed, 1 officer (Captain F. H. Lawrence) and 24 men wounded, in-May 2 killed and 3 wounded and in June 1 officer (2/i.t. T. H. S. Senior) and 3 men killed and 19 wounded.The Bethune sector had indeed become by this time a quiet sector of the front; the centre of interest had shifted further south. On May 5th Lieut .-Colonel L. M. Stevens took over command of the 2nd Worcestershire, vice Lieut.-Colonel G. C. Lambton D.S.O. who was invalided home.
scully
Site Admin

Postby martinwarrilow » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:31 am

Thank you so much for posting that information Louis. It really is helpful in building up a picture of What the 2nd Battalion went through, and getting a better idea of what happened to my great grandfather.

I think my next step might be to see if i can find an obituary in a newspaper, one that would hopefully contain a photograph.

Thanks again!
martinwarrilow

Postby martinwarrilow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:36 pm

I went to the Birmingham Central Library a while back and went through the microfiche of all the local papers i could think of, and i couldn't find any mention of William in the obituaries. There are many good photographs in there of other servicemen killed in action. Does anyone find it strange i am having so much trouble tracking down a photo? Perhaps not.

Otherwise i am looking for either a 2nd battalion photograph from around this era. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I've checked the gallery, and again there are some great photographs, but non covering the second battalion around 1915/1916.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
martinwarrilow

Postby martinwarrilow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:06 pm

It's been a while, so i thought i would follow up on this post.

I'm still searching for a photograph of my great grandfather, and just wondered if anyone had access to a group photo of the 2nd battalion from 1915-1916? Perhaps someone has submitted a photograph in the last few years which i am unaware of. I remain hopeful!

All the best,

Martin
martinwarrilow

Return to First World War