Private. 7712 Albert Nind

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private. 7712 Albert Nind

Postby chilvers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

I am currently researching the background to my Great Grandfather, Private 7712 Albert Nind who was KIA with The Worcestershire Regiment at Gallipoli in August 1915.

As I am quite new to this if there are some online resources available that I could use to do my own research please accept my apologies.

Any help with either information, or advice as to where i might look would be greatly appreciated. As I live approximately 200 miles from Worcester I am, at this stage, not able to visit offices, or The Cathedral.

Cheers
Mark
chilvers

Re: Private. 7712 Albert Nind

Postby scully » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Mark,

Private Albert Nind (7712) enlisted into the Worcestershire Regiment at Worcester and was posted to the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment he sailed to France with the 2nd Battalion landing at Boulogne on the 14th August 1914. He later was posted to the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (possibly because he had been wounded in the 2nd Battalion and was re-posted to the 4th Battalion after he recovered) and was killed in action on the 6th August 1915 during the action of Krithia Vineyard (Gallipoli). Below are details of the 4th Battalion actions for that period taken from the Regimental History:

THE ACTION OF KRITHIA VINEYARD (6th August 1915)

At 4.0 a.m. on the morning of August 6th the attacking troops left the beach and moved forward to the assembly trenches. The 4th Worcestershire, commanded by Major Seton, had been made up to full strength by fresh drafts and went into action over 800 strong. The other battalions of the Brigade were equally strong and all were full of fight; "the best Brigade of the best Division of the Army" wrote their Brigadier enthusiastically. Before dawn all were under cover in the front trenches and ready for the battle.
There was plenty of time to make final preparations, for the attack was not to commence until the cool of the evening. So all that morning the crowded troops lay quiet in their trenches under a grilling sun and a haze of flies, while the officers scanned as best they could the ground in front. A. slight rise in the ground hid the enemy's trenches from view, but their location was well known. In front of the 4th Worcestershire the enemy's line formed a deep re-entrant, with a strong redoubt in the re-entrant angle. Another redoubt flanked the enemy's line further to the right. To the left of the Battalion's frontage the enemy's trenches came forward to that salient position which the bombers had endeavoured to gain on Jufy 2nd. That salient was now to be attacked by the Hampshire and Essex. On the right of the Worcestershire the Turkish salient at the junction of the two arms of the Krithia Nullah was to be attacked by the 5th Manchester of the 42nd Division. Midday passed amid heat and buzzing flies. At 2.20 p.m. the British heavy artillery opened fire. Instantly the Turkish guns replied. The enemy was expecting attack, and a shower of shrapnel and high explosive shells burst all along the British trenches. The troops crouched low, and escaped heavy loss, though behind them the communication trenches were wrecked.

At 3.15 p.m. the British machine-gun batteries added their stammer to the crash of the shells, and five minutes later the field guns joined in the chorus. For half-an-hour the storm raged. Then at 3.50 p.m. the officers' whistles sounded; the platoons scrambled over the parapets and advanced to the attack. The Battalion went forward in four waves. For the first fifty yards all went well and losses were not heavy until the crest of the low rise in front was reached. Through the smoke and dust of the enemy's shells, spectators in the British trenches saw the successive waves crest that low rise and disappear into the haze beyond. Through the din the watchers could hear the stammer of machine-guns in front. As the successive waves topped the rise and came in full view of the enemy they were struck from both flanks by a hail of machine-gun bullets. Quickening their pace the platoons rushed on towards their goal, but under that deadly fire the ranks withered away. The remnant dashed onwards, charged the trenches and in many cases leapt in. The enemy's machine-guns raked all the ground, and soon none remained outside the trench but dead or disabled men. Inside the trench the survivors closed with the enemy and fought hand to hand until overpowered by numbers. In few cases was quarter either asked or given. At one point about thirty of the Worcestershire forced their way into the trench and found themselves isolated in the midst of the enemy. Swiftly erecting barricades on both flanks, they organised a little stronghold for defence. For three hours they held their ground, fighting desperately against attacks from every direction. Their bombs were soon exhausted, but their musketry kept the surrounding enemy at bay until night came on. By that time twenty of the little party had fallen. The survivors numbered only twelve, commanded by Sergeant Stevens. They had expended nearly all their ammunition and there were no signs of help. The sergeant decided that they must retreat, and under cover of the darkness they succeeded in leaving the trench. Sixteen strong platoons had advanced to the attack; only this little party returned.

On the left of the Worcestershire the 2nd Hampshire had been annihilated in the same way. Still further to the left the 1st Essex had actually captured a portion of the enemy's trench and had there held on for some time. Eventually bombing attacks forced them out of all their gains except one little salient corner which was retained. On the right the 5th Manchesters had likewise failed to gain ground. A renewed attack was ordered at that point by a fresh battalion, the 7th Manchester. That fresh attack was made at 8.15 p.m. In the absence of any news it had been assumed that the 4th Worcestershire had
taken their objective and were holding it, and those fresh troops were instructed to gain touch with them. In the gathering darkness the Manchesters advanced to the Turkish trench. An officer went forward and called "Are the Worcesters there ? " He was heavily fired on. Moving to the left he tried again with the same result. Realising that the attack must have failed, he withdrew his men. On the way back he found Sergeant Stevens' little party in "No Man's Land " and brought them back.

The ensuing night was one of great anxiety. Save for the personnel of Battalion Headquarters the trenches of the 4th Worcestershire were empty; nor were the battalions on the left in any better case. Had the Turks attempted a counter-attack nothing could have averted disaster; but the enemy made no move. All night the Headquarters personnel worked in "No Man's Land," bringing in wounded and searching for survivors. One subaltern crawled forward to witliin thirty yards of the enemy's trench and located two of their machine-guns; but there was no sign that any of our men were still holding out in the enemy's trench, or that any were still alive save the helpless wounded in the open. By dawn a large number of the wounded had been brought in, and with the dawn came relief—the Fusilier battalions of the 86th Brigade. The remnant of the 4th Worcestershire went back to Gully Beach, to reorganise and reckon their loss. It was found that the casualties numbered 16 officers and 752 N.C.O's. and men. That virtual destruction of the Battalion was a stunning wind after the high hopes before the battle. The only consolation was that the very strength of the Turkish defence proved that from the strategic point of view the object of the attack had been obtained; the enemy had concentrated at Krithia to meet the attack, leaving the decisive attack further north a full chance of success. Such was the gist of the speech of the Divisional Commander, General de Lisle, to the. survivors of the Brigade; and that news cheered them despite their heavy loss.

____
Hope the above is of some help.

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby chilvers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Louis

Thank you so much for your response. An amazing amount of information. Are there any on line resources that I can use to locate documents or records relating to Alberts service that you would recommend?

Thank you once again.

Regards
Mark
chilvers

Postby scully » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Mark,

His service records were destroyed in WW2 from bomb damage (fire) and as far as I know did not survive. However, you could try to get some details from the Medal Rolls held at Kew but this would be limited information.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby corona » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Mark,
There is a set of Attestation Papers on FIND MY PAST that may be for your relation.
Albert Nind born 1886 St Pauls Worcester . Attested 30/3/1900 aged 14and 3months into the 5TH WORCESTERSHIRE REGT.
Worth a look!
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby peter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Mark,

Your Great Grandfathers service No. 7712 would suggest he enlisted some time in March 1903. His service record does appear to have been destroyed in the bombing of 1940 when many records were lost and or badly damaged by fire and water. His MIC states that he was entitled to the British War and Victory medals and 1914 Star. As well as being commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey, Albert 's name also appears on the St. Pauls Church and Worcester Guildhall War Memorials. A photograph of Albert was printed in the Berrows Worcester Journal Supplement, Saturday 15th April 1916. Albert Nind born March Q. 1885 and one for March Q. 1886, Worcester found on FreeBMD. I have a database for 2nd Bn. 1914 Star men and any other details about Albert you could give woud be very much appreciated (confirm year born, parents names, married? etc.)

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby gilbo139 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Hello Mark,
Regarding Peters' previous post, if you would like a photograph of the St Pauls memorial and also the Guildhall Roll I would be more than happy to take a few for you and e mail them on.....Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby chilvers » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Thank you all for your help in providing this fascinating information.

Colin, if you had time to take any photos I would be really Grateful. my email is mark@chilversfamily.com

Corona, Im going to follow that up, thank you for your help.

Peter, Im going tp dig out the details for Albert and will post on here everything I have.

Cheers
Mark
chilvers

Postby gilbo139 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Hello Mark.....I shall be at St. Pauls tomorrow,Remembrance Sunday, I'll take a few photos and send them on...the Guildhall is usually busy on Remembrance Sunday so I'll see if I can get down in the week.......as a matter of interest I mentioned the surname Nind to my 86 year old mother who lived in Carden street in the St Pauls area of Worcester....she remembers a Mrs Nind running a fish and chip at one end of the street who was always dressed in black....a relative I wonder?
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby chilvers » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Colin

Anything photos would be fantastic, I couldn't thank you enough. I don't know anything about the Worcester area, I'm assuming St Paul's is the local church?

We don't have much background on this line, Alberts mother was Agnes Nind nee Sankey, his father was Benjamin Nind, listed as a Coal Merchant. Albert married my Great Grandmother in Huddersfield. Maybe Agnes worked in the chippy?!?

Peter

Albert Nind born in 1886 (sorry don't have the date).

Father Benjamin Nind (Coal Merchant)
Mother Agnes Sankey

Married Kate Redican in Huddersfield 2/1/1907

They had 3 children, Agnes (my Grand Mother) Alice and Maria. All of whom were brought up in Huddersfield.

My Grandmother was born 31/01/1910 indicating Albert left a young widow (Kate was born 3/5/1889 died in 1964) and 3 small children.

I have emailed Worcester library regarding photograph in the paper, not sure if they deal with email requests but I found reference in a catalogue at their site.

Thanks to you all for you great support so far.

I note Ancestry.co.uk offering free access to WW1 records throughout Armistice Weekend.

Cheers
Mark
chilvers

Postby chilvers » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm

A big thank you to everyone who has helped me with this.

For anyone interested, I have located a photograph (via ancestry.co.uk) of Albert and his 6 brothers who all served in The Great War. Sadly it appears he was the only one who didn't return.

I'm not sure how to post a photo on here and it doesnt seem to allow links, if anyone would like to see it please let me know.

Still have fingers crossed for the article from the local paper (although I think the photograph is taken from this one) as I would love to see how he was reported.

Cheers
Mark
chilvers

Postby Simon_Fielding » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm

NIND, Ben Head Married M 40 1851 Fruiterer
Worcester, Worcestershire VIEW
NIND, Agnes Wife Married F 36 1855
NIND, Charles Son M 10 1881 Scholar
NIND, Ben Son M 7 1884 Scholar
NIND, Albert Son M 5 1886 Scholar
NIND, James Son M 0 (10M) 1891
Worcester, Worcestershire VIEW Piece: 2325 Folio: 109 Page: 8 Registration District: Worcester Civil Parish: Worcester Municipal Borough: Worcester Address: 13, Foundry Alley, Worcester County: Worcestershire
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 pm

NIND, Agnes Head Widow F 39 1862
VIEW
NIND, Charles Son Single M 19 1882 Coal Haulier
Hereford, Herefordshire VIEW
NIND, Albert Son Single M 16 1885 Coal Haulier
NIND, James Son Single M 11 1890 School
NIND, Walter Son Single M 7 1894 School
NIND, John Son Single M 6 1895 School
NIND, Thomas Son Single M 3 1898
Worcester, Worcestershire VIEW Piece: 2778 Folio: 37 Page: 6 Registration District: Worcester Civil Parish: Worcester Municipal Borough: Address: Foundry Alley, Worcester County: Worcestershire
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Mark

Albert seems to have served as a boy soldier with the Worcesters from 1900-1903 - I have some pictures of service papers you might find interesting

I'm on simonharveyfieldingATyahoo.co.uk AT = @

Cheers
Simon_Fielding

Postby chilvers » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi

I’m looking to buy a cap badge of the Worcester Regiment as worn at Gallipoli. There appear to be 2 versions of what I believe to be the correct one. One appears to be a bright brass finish, the other has a dull copper hue. Any advice on which is related to the offensive of 1915 would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
chilvers

Return to First World War