Private Edward John Ray (46267) of 3rd battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Edward John Ray (46267) of 3rd battalion

Postby Hogenes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:24 pm

In September 2009 I visited Flanders in Belgium to see the WWI battle fields and also went to visit my great grandfather’s, Edward John Ray, grave at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. It is absolutely spine chilling to walk these fields; the “Great” War must have been hell. I also visited “Hill 60”, The In Flanders Fields Museum, Tyne Cot Cemetery, Poperinge and Ypres. Ever since, I am fascinated by WWI history and from the moment I got back home in Holland I wanted to learn more, especially about Private Edward John Ray.

Over the years, I have been able to trace down some information which I provided to an organization in Belgium involved in preserving the WWI heritage .
All I know about Private Edward John Ray: www.lijssenthoek.be/en/adres/10892/-edward-john-ray.

He fought in Flanders, Belgium with the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, 25th Division, 7th Brigade. His Service Number was 46267.

Louis Scully (owner & webmaster) of this WorcestershireRegiment website has been very helpful and provided the following information:
He probably enlisted in Birmingham in 1914.
From the photograph of Private EJ Ray with his family (posted on the website) Louis noticed that the army belt and buckle he is wearing on his uniform was one that was used by the British Army from 1903 to 1914. This would suggest that he enlisted in 1914 and may have been an army reservist and so was one of the first men to be called up for service in August 1914. If that is the case he would have been posted to the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and landed in France with them on the 16th August 1914 at Rouen, France. The fact that he was posted to the 3rd Battalion would also suggest he had been in the Regiment before 1914 at some time.

Still, I am searching for more information about my great grandfather, for example:
- Where did he fight and what battles did he participate in ?
- When did he get wounded ? (all I know is that he died on September 4th 1917 of multiple shell wounds on both legs and thighs in n°3 Canadian CCS)
Any additional information you can provide is very much appreciated and I hope you can help me in my search for my great grandfather’s history.

I have recently bought myself a copy of “The Worcester Regiment in the Great War” by Captain H. FitzM. Stacke and looks like a very good publication which, I am sure, will provide me information about the battles fought by 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, but of course not the specifics I am looking for about my great grandfather.

Pim Hogenes
Netherlands
In memory of Private Edward John Ray (46267) - 3rd Battalion (25th Division, 7th Brigade)
Hogenes

Re: Private Edward John Ray (46267) of 3rd battalion

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Hello Pim, An interesting post which goes to show a lot of us think on much the same lines, I first went to the Somme in 1986, the first family member to visit Great Grandads grave and I thought it would be a 'one off', since then my interest has grown and grown and I,ve been back probably about 20 times and of course I've done the Flanders things as well. I think its important to keep the memories of what they had to endure alive. I probably can,t help you much with your relative but I know you will find Stackes history very informative but I,m wondering if you have been back to lissenhoek recently because I believe they have built a new visitor centre there which I'm told include lots of personal stories of some of the men buried there.....regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby lee johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi

My great Grandfather was also a 3rd Battalion man and a Reservist, but I am curious as to why you say 'obviously' a 3rd Battalion man. Did all Reservists end up there and if so why and were there any other similar policies in place that you're aware of?

Lee
lee johnson

Postby Hogenes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:01 am

Colin,
I am aware of Lijssenthoek's new visitor centre and I plan to go there coming April. Any additional information will be shared.
Regards,
Pim
In memory of Private Edward John Ray (46267) - 3rd Battalion (25th Division, 7th Brigade)
Hogenes

Postby Hogenes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Lee,

He definitely was a 3rd Battalion man. Whether he was a Reservist, I'm not sure. I cannot help you with your interesting question question whether all Reservists ended up there. I'm no expert. I hope to gain more information from experts on this forum.

Pim
Hogenes

Postby Rita » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:38 pm

My Grandfather James Turrell 8728 was in the 3rd Worcesters, 7th Brigade, 25 Division..so they probably knew each other. He was killed on Vimy Ridge 1.6.16 and buried in Ecoivres Cemetery. I only have a description of him. Do you have any photos of the 3rd Battalion? He was in the 2nd Battalion initially and was transferred at some stage to the 3rd. Many thanks.
Rita

Postby Hogenes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Rita,

It is very well possible that they knew each other. You may also want to try to get more information from The Mercian Regiment Museum: museummercian at btconnect.com.

All I know about Edward John Ray:
He served both in 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment and later transferred to 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment . Edward John was posted to 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment in France / Flanders after training and subsequently joined 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment (possibly as a result of being evacuated sick or wounded).
I cannot find when he enlisted nor when he was transferred from 2nd to 3rd Bn. He enlisted in Birmingham. I have also been greatly helped by The Mercian Regiment Museum and learned that he did not go overseas until after 1915. This is concluded from the medal index card which does not show that he was awarded the 1915 Star. EJ Ray was awarded the Victory medal and British medal. Ellen Ray (nee Grainger) would also have received the WWI Memorial Plaque.

He died of multiple shell wounds on both legs and thighs in Canadian Casualty Clearing Station CCS No. 3, which was located where Lijssenthoek Cemetery is located now, just south of Poperinge. Lijssenthoek Cemetery is locally also known as “Remy Cemetery” because it was located behind Remy Quaghebeur Farm which served as a field hospital (Canadian CCS No. 3) which was called “Remy Sidings”.

Private Ray died 4th September 1917 and is buried on Lijssenthoek Military Cemetary in Poperinge, Belgium.

I doubt I will find more information because many war records were lost during the WWII Blitz over London. But I will not give up.

I do not have any photos of 3rd battalion (nor 2nd Bn). I only have one photo of Edward John with his family taken around October 1915. Residence at that time was 2 Back, 42, Whitmore St., Hockley, Birmingham. The photo is posted here: www.worcestershireregiment.com/photo_pt ... _46267.php
This is probably his last photo....

Reading through the war diaries is also very interesting and can help find more details of where they fought, however, names of Privates are usually not mentioned in these diaries.
If you have any additional information, please let me know.

Regards,
Pim
Hogenes

Return to First World War