11663 sgt J. Kendall DCM

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

11663 sgt J. Kendall DCM

Postby Wigman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm

I have some inquires about this soldier.

I know that this soldier was in the 1st batallion in october 1914.
There are pictures of all the platoons of the 1st batallion and I hope
someone could tell me who J Kendall is.

also I am looking for some additional information such as
- the day he won his DCM (30-11-1917 cambrai ), any information of the 4th batallion on that day
- all information about he getting wounded and his death (25-10-1918)
- his promotion to corporal and sergeant
- any newspaper articles
- any picutures of him
- red cross inquirey files
- nominal role
- embarkation role
- MIC record
- any other information about him or his family

regards

mark
Wigman

Re: 11663 sgt J. Kendall DCM

Postby Kevin Lynott » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Wigman
The 4th Worcs spent the night of 29-30 Nov 17 in the cellars of Marcoing. On the morning of 30/11/17 the Germans broke through the 29th Div and 4th Worcs were ordered to defensive positions to the south west of the town along a sunken lane to the south of Marcoing Copse, even as they deployed the Germans were bearing down on the line having captured an artillery battery. The Germans were halted and an 88th Brig counter-attack was organised and the Germans were pushed back.
I can't help you with where the Bn were exactly on the 25th Oct 18 other than it was East of Courtrai and the 88th Brig which it was part of objectives on that day were St Louis north of the Courtra-Bossuyt Canal. Having reached St Louis 88th Brig went firm whilst one of the other Brigs of the Div passed through and continued the advance.
I see he is is shown as dying of wounds in SDiGW and indeed is buried in Terlincthun British Cemetery, Boulogne which is a considerable distance from Courtrai. He may have wounded in an earlier action and died in a British Base Hospital.

He is commerated on the memorial in St John's Church in Bromsgrove.
Kevin Lynott

Return to First World War