7605 Pte Thomas Wall 2nd Bn

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

7605 Pte Thomas Wall 2nd Bn

Postby ravrick » Mon May 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi, I am thrying to find out if 7605 Pte Thomas Wall was present at Gheluvelt in Oct 1914, he disembarked with the 2nd Bn on the 12th August 1914 and his MIC states Discharged. No mention of the 1914 star clasp! Any information appreicated,
Cheers,
Rick
ravrick

Re: 7605 Pte Thomas Wall 2nd Bn

Postby higgitt » Thu May 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Rick,

First, I hope life in Afghan is pretty quiet for you right now. Our son-in-law has done two tours operating right in the thick of it, so our thoughts are with you.
As far as Pte Thomas Wall's concerned, I can offer an insight as I've recently spent time at the Worcestershire Regiment archive conducting some research for what I hope will be a radio documentary to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Gheluvelt next year.
Among the information I've gleaned is a list detailing men who were / weren't at Gheluvelt. I hope I'm not out of order letting you know that the file in question records Thomas as not being at Gheluvelt.
He is recorded as having been wounded eight days before, on the 23rd. This is what it says:

Born abt. 1885 West Bromwich he enlisted aged 18 years 5 months in Dudley. Wounded 23/10/14. Reported in the Birmingham Daily Post Friday 4th December 1914 page 4 to be in The Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital, London under date 26th October 1914.

I also have a PDF copy of the official record of the Regiment, called 'Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War', which describes in detail what 2nd Battalion were doing that day.
If you'd like me to send you an extract, I'll gladly do so. Email me at markhiggit@gmail.com.
Hope that helps. Good luck and stay focused. With kind regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Warks
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Postby ravrick » Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Mark,
I tried your e mail but it bounced back?
very many thanks for the information , I would appreicate a copy of the information you have offered. I have a few other Worcestershire men who I am researching, all 2nd Bn 1914 and would be very grateful for any help you could give?

12874 Pte Frederick C Basted
8537 Cpl Charles Edward Stewart
9960 Pte James Vaughan (D Coy)

Quiet out here for the moment, except for the occasional rocket!!
Cheers,
Rick
ravrick

Postby higgitt » Mon May 13, 2013 11:30 am

It pays to read the message properly before hitting the submit button, Rick. I've mis-spelt my own surname! Sorry about that.
Try markhiggitt@gmail.com and I'll gladly see if there's anything about the other two on the information I gleaned from the regimental archive.
Glad to hear it's quiet. Stay safe. Regards,

Mark
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Return to First World War