L/Cpl 9000 George Gadd

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

L/Cpl 9000 George Gadd

Postby peter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Hoping his Grandson Mike will see this posting as I still need some information regarding George for my database (2nd Bn. 14 Star men). If you do read this Mike I would appreciate details regarding his parents names and also the name of his wife and date of their marriage. You did send me some information regarding his birth details but with a few George Gadd's of the right age group finding it difficult to find the right census returns. Have found a George Gadd serving with 3rd Battalion on 1911 census but it states born Wolverhampton (the details you sent me says born Kingstanding).

Regards

Peter
peter

Re: L/Cpl 9000 George Gadd

Postby Gadd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello Peter,
Long time, no speak!!

I hope the following helps.

My Grandfather George Thomas Gadd, was born in 1884. You may well be correct regarding where. Family folklore says Kingstanding, but it is likely to be Wolverhampton. When I was a little boy, he always asked me how the 'Wolves had got on on Saturday afternoon!!

He is the sone of Levi and Lucretia Gadd (nee Morall). Lucretia died when Grandad was 9 (she was only 35) and she was buried in Swindon, from where the Morall family originated.

Grandad I assume was brought up by his dad Levi.

Grandad married my Grandmother on January 3rd 1915 at St.John's Church, Newport, Monmouthshire.(see photo on the Worcestershire website). Her name was Sarah Ellen Clifford, born in 1892. The details contained in the 1911 census are correct.

Grandad joined up (we think, according to his regimental number) in around 1905and he was indeed in the 3rd Battalion. He left the army in around 1912, and was on the reserve list, being recalled into the 2nd Battalion at the outbreak of the war, seeing action from the outset, including Gheluvelt in October 1914.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, I will be happy to help.

All the best,

Mike Gadd
Gadd

Postby peter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Mike

Good to hear from you again and many thanks for the additional information. Still working on the men of the 2nd Battalion Worcesters so any new details are always much appreciated. With this year being the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Gheluvelt I understand that it will be commemorated in some way at Gheluvelt Park on or around the 31st October. Will post on here and let you know if I hear anything definite.

Best regards

Peter
peter

Postby Gadd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:47 am

Likewise Peter,

I was at Gheluvelt early June, to pay my respects, and have been invited to the 100th Anniversary commemoration ceremony on Sunday October 26th in the village. I am not sure yet whether I can make it - I certainly intend to try.
I'm waiting for some firm details on timings etc., and I'll take it from there.

I have a favour to ask. I know Grandad was discharged in 1917, but I am not sure of the circumstances. I understand he spent some time in hospital, in Birmingham, and I also know he had a shrapnel wound.

Can you please give me a pointer as to how I can find out what happened? Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks again - and I'm sorry it took so long to find the forum!!

Kind regards,

Mike
Gadd

Postby peter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Mike,

I have updated the details on your Grandfather so again many thanks. I have a newspaper report as follows:

Reported to be in 1st Southern General Hospital, Birminghham (Casualty list 30th January 1915).

I can't give you any further information regarding his wounds. As you know his service papers have not survived (nor did my Grandfathers) so you can't get the details from those.

I went to Gheluvelt at the start of the year together with the great Grandson of Albert Perks (DoW 1.11.1914) with the BBC for a programme on the Worcesters at Gheluvelt (inside Out). We laid a wreath at the Menin Gate during the last post ceremony, very emotional occasion.

If I come across any more details on George will be in touch.

Best Regards

Peter
peter

Return to First World War