Gassed in France - 4th Battalion - Help Please

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Gassed in France - 4th Battalion - Help Please

Postby Ellie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 am

Hi - I am new to this and probably doing it all wrong so I apologise in advance.

I am trying to trace where in France my Great-Grandfather was Gassed. I have posted all of his details below, I have his medal rolls index card from Ancestry and some Pension Records which is where I have the below information from. He originally joined 175th Bde RFA (which I think was a South Staffs Regiment) in 1915 but as he had lied about his age, he was discharged. He then went on to meet my Great Nan, get her expecting and 'have' to get married before signing up again in Warwick 1 day before his birthday in June 1918, from the reserves it says on the short service form.

Information from the Statement of Service Form is very faint and hard to read, but it does look like it says 4th RWorcs private posted Oct 1918 and the 1/8 Worcestershire. Further down it says Exnoy Force France 20.10.18 - 20.11.18 Wounded Gassed.

He was demobbed on the 08.03.19, and was totally disabled and received a £60.00 pension pay out.

William Henry Jones Born about 1899 in Coseley, Staffordshire
Royal Warwickshire Regiment - Worcester Regiment Pte 57857(his first number when he was too young south staffs artillery) and 59312(definitely his Worcestershire regiment number)
Vicotry Medal L/102 173669
British Medal "" ""

I am sorry if I've whittered on or put something worng, but both myself and my father would love to know where in France he served so that we could go and visit.
Thanks everyone so much any help would be greatly appreciated
Ellie
Ellie

Re: Gassed in France - 4th Battalion - Help Please

Postby scully » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Ellie,

It seems he was posted to the 1/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in October 1918.

The reference you made to "Exnoy Force France 20.10.18 - 20.11.18"
Should read "Expeditionary Force France 20.10.18 - 20.11.18" This simply means he served overseas in France over that period - just 1 month. By the time he landed in France and eventually joined the 1/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, who where already there, it is likely he joined them at the end of October/early November 1918 he would have joined them at Pommereuil (see below). It seems he must have been wounded in the last battle for that Battalion.

The 1/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment history show the following:

At the end October and first week in November 1918 the the 1/8th Worcestershire had remained billetted in Pommeroeuil for the best part of a week - a week devoted to keen training for the task ahead. The nature of that task was soon known to all.

While at Pommereuil the Battalion received large reinforcements—some three hundred raw recruits, young west country lads. Half-trained though they were, the recruits were full of spirit and did splendid work in the ensuing battle.

"On the right flank of the British front the 1/8th Worcestershire lay quiet outside Landrecies during the morning of November 5th (1918) while the troops of the 74th Brigade advanced north-eastward up the line of the River Sambre. The 32nd Division on the right had not yet come up into line, so for some short time the 75th Brigade formed a defensive flank from Landrecies to Maroilles, facing south-east. There was some firing in front, but nothing of note occurred. Presently the advancing troops of the 32nd Division came past the Brigade's line. The 75th Brigade then concentrated and went into billets in Maroilles. The Brigade remained at Maroilles for twenty-four hours. Then orders came to advance. The 74th Brigade had reached Marbaix. The 75th Brigade would go through and continue the advance. The Brigade moved off accordingly, passed through the outpost line and continued the advance from Marbaix along the valley of the River Helpe to St. Hilaire. The 1/5th Gloucestershire formed the vanguard. The 1/8th Worcestershire marched behind as part of the main guard. Near St. Hilaire some scattered firing entailed caution. Guns were brought into action, but no definite attack followed. The l/8th Worcestershire halted in their march formation behind the firing line and waited for orders till nightfall.

Then came news that the 25th Division was to be relieved. Presently troops of the 66th Division came up in the darkness. The 75th Brigade turned back in their tracks and marched westwards to billets in Marbaix. Next day the 25th Division moved back out of the line for rest and training. The 75th Brigade marched to Preux, west of the Forest of Mormal. On the way the column marched through Landrecies, and the inhabitants of the town they had liberated gave a magnificent reception to the victorious troops, throwing flags and flowers to the troops, and bouquets to the Divisional Commander, who rode at the head of the Worcestershire battalion. After that triumphal march the 1/8th Worcestershire remained in billets at Preux until November 13th."

The above will give you the clue to where he was in France over the period he was overseas.

Hope this helps a little,

regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: Gassed in France - 4th Battalion - Help Please

Postby Ellie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am

Thank you so much for the above information, that is Fantastic XX
Ellie

Return to First World War