Visiting Gallipoli

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Visiting Gallipoli

Postby chilvers » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:23 pm

I was thinking about visiting the Helles Memorial and any other significant locations in Southern Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of the death of my Great Grandfather Pte 7712 Albert Nind at Gallipoli 6th August 1915.

Has anybody made this trip? I was wondering how easy it is to get there and whether there are any battlefield tours in this region?

Cheers
Mark
chilvers

Re: Visiting Gallipoli

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello Mark, never been but read a lot about touring the area in case I ever do and I think that if you google.... Gallipoli houses......it seems it's a great place to stay and their website gives all the details on the best way to get there....the Great War Forum also has people with a wealth of knowledge of the area, it's easier for me I only have to go to Northern a France to visit my Great Grandads resting place,.......regards. colin
gilbo139

Re: Visiting Gallipoli

Postby smitd09 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:02 am

Sorry for the late response. If you haven't sorted yourself yet, this may help. I've visited Gallipoli 3 times in the last 5 years, the last time this April. I've stayed at TJ's Hotel in Eceabat. reasonable price and TJ can arrange pick up from airport in Istanbul, which is a 5 hour transfer. He can also provide a taxi around the various sites. This package I found to be half the price of a 'guided tour'.

In 4 days I covered in detail Helles , ANZAC and Sulva, the attack on 6th August at the Vine Yard, when my grandfather was wounded, the Turkish memorials, The Sphinx, Razorback Ridge, The Nek, Krithia and Gaba Tepe, with a small group of 4 others, this helped with the taxi costs.
Ecebat is the closest town to the battlefields with hotel accommodation and evening resturants, cash points, etc, here you'll find a fair few ANZACs giving their stories too in the Boomarang Bar.
2015 will be very busy and if you haven't booked, I'd act soon. To be there in August (9th batn landings) for the Sulva landing and the diversion at Helles will be very hot.

While April for Helles (4th batn landings) will be less so, but full of ANZACs and what I've found in my last 2 visits 1000s of local Turks, remembering their heros.
If going in April, I go the week before ANZAC day, everything is fresh and the crowds are less though still large.

While there you may also want to take in Troy which is just across the straights.
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Return to First World War