Private Albert Hyde 3389

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Albert Hyde 3389

Postby Davy219 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello

I am researching the life of Private Albert Edward Hyde 3389 who died on 30 April 1915. He was in the Worcestershire Regiment 1/7, 48th Division attached to the 18th Brigade at the time of his death.

Do you think there would be a photograph of him with his fellow regiment? How did he die?

I have photo of Albert taken when he was on leave.

Any information on Albert would be gratefully recieved.

Thank you

Eileen
Davy219

Re: Private Albert Hyde 3389

Postby beardie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 pm

hello eileen,
there is a long article on albert hyde in the 'county express' newspaper under the title- Lye territorial killed, his captains tribute "fearless and most willing"

the county express is available to view on microfilm at stourbridge library or at the dudley archives.

my copy of the article is unreadable :cry:

steve
steve beard
beardie

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for your reply about The County Express. I will look on their website as I live in in the north and may be a while before I go down. Maybe they will send me a copy. I never thought of looking at the newspaper, so he was in the Terretorials before war broke out.

We are going to Belguim to see Albert's grave at the Calvaire Military cemetry. Albert was the only one in the regiment who was killed on that day 30/4 1915. Some people have said that it may have been a sniper as if it was a shell there would be more casualties.

Albert had a brother Wilfred Hyde born in 1896 but I can find no record of him going to war. They both worked at the bucket factory in Stourbridge as blacksmiths. Albert is my grandma's brother
I have a photo of Albert - can I put it on the website?

What about a regiment photo - maybe the regiment will have one.

Thanks again

Eileen
Davy219

Postby beardie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm

hello eileen,

in the absent voters list of 1918(worcestershire) has 240560 pte wilfred moran hyde 5th devons registered stourbridge parish.

might be the brother?

steve
steve beard
beardie

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi Beardie
Thanks I will look in to that. It could be his brother. The family lived at 66 Dudley road, Lye, Stourbridge.
Eileen
Davy219

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Steve
Please do you have a date for the Country Express article to say Lye Territorial killed.
Thank you

Eileen
Davy219

Postby beardie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 pm

hi,
county express saturday may 8th 1915
steve beard
beardie

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Hello Eileen , have you ever had access to the war diaries for 1/7th? I only have Stackes history but even in there it gives a good account of the movement of the ;1/7th and 1/8th s movements from England up to the front line at Plugstreet, at one point stopping at Cassel from Grand old Duke of York fame.....regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Colin

No, I haven't seen the war diaries as I am new to this but I would like to have more information before I go to Belguim.

How do I get access to the diaries please?
Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Eileen
Davy219

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Steve
Thank you very much for the County Express date.

Eileen
Davy219

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 pm

There is a set of pension papers indicating earlier enlistment in the 9th Bn from August - October 1914.

Stacke =

Meanwhile in England the danger of invasion was no longer considered so menacing as in , ,»—
1914 ; for the New Armies were in being. It became possible to release the Territorial Divisions from / / TH
home defence, and to despatch them to the active service overseas for which they had volunteered.
On March 29th the move of the South Midland Division to France began. The transport &
of the Battalions of the 144th Brigade (c) left Maldon East by train for Southampton in the early
hours of March 30th, and on the following evening (March 31st) the l/7th and l/8th Worcestershire "/©TH
followed the other two battalions of their Brigade down to Maldon East Station and entrained for
the front. The two Worcestershire battalions embarked at Folkestone (d) after dark, reached
Boulogne in the middle of the night (e) and then marched three miles to camp.
On the afternoon of April 1st the two Battalions entrained (/) at Pont de Briques Station,
meeting there the transport, which had been landed at Havre.
The troop trains carried the two Battalions to Cassel, where the South Midland Division was
being concentrated. After detraining at Bavinchove Station at 3 a.m. on April 2nd the Battalions
marched to their allotted billets, the l/7th Battalion at Hardifort and the 1/Sth at Terdeghem.
_ Next day (April 3rd) the Brigade was inspected by General Sir Horace Smith Dorrien, commanding
the Second Army. Then on April 5th the Division marched forward in soaking rain
some twenty miles to billets by Bailleul. Five days of training and route marching followed, after
which on April 10th the Territorial Battalions marched forward to the forward area near Armentieres
for practical instruction in trench warfare. The l/7th Battalion were attached to the 18th Brigade
and the l/8th to the 19th Brigade. The two Battalions were billetted respectively at Armentieres
and Erquinghem, and the Territorial platoons were attached in succession to companies of the
battalions then holding the line.
Platoon after platoon was initiated in the routine of trench warfare by the old soldiers who
had endured the Winter months. Apart from sniping and bombing there was but little activity
around Armentieres, and the only casualty suffered by either Battalion during that probationary
period occurred on April 14th, when 2/Lieut. R. K. Armstrong (g) was wounded.
Then the South Midland Division was entrusted with a definite section of the line, the front
between the River Warnave and the Wulverghem-Messines road, covering Ploegsteert Wood. On
April 17th the 144th Brigade took over the right hand sector of the new Divisional line. The l/8th
Worcestershire marched northward from Armentieres to billets in Divisional reserve at Nieppe
while the l/7th Worcestershire went into the trenches for the first time as a complete unit (h).
On April 19th came the first fatal casualty, one man (i) of the l/7th Worcestershire being killed.
On the same day Lance-Corporal J. R. Beagin of the Battalion signallers showed great gallantry
while laying a telephone wire across exposed ground. He came under heavy fire and was severely
wounded ; but he pluckily completed the work. His gallantry was rewarded with the D.C.M. (j).

(a) Battn. was in front-line March 22nd—30th and April 7th—15th. From March 30th to April 7th Battn. was
billetted in Essars, and after April 15th in Bethune.
(b) Casualties: 2nd Worcs.—March 22nd—30th. Battalion casualties nil. On March 24th, Lieut. Odling, R.E.,
was killed while working in the front line. On March 29th, the Battn. Dressing Station was hit, and the
Medical Officer, Lieut. A. M. Smith, R.A.M.C. was severely wounded. April 6th—16th, 3 killed, 8 wounded.
(c) The "Gloucestershire and Worcestershire" Brigade is here referred to by its subsequent number for the sake of
simplicity. Actually the Territorial Divisions and Brigades were not allotted numbers until after their arrival
in France.
(d) l/7th Battn. embarked on S.S. " Onward " l/8th Battn. embarked on S.S. " Invicta." The officers who embarked
with the two Battalions were :—
111th Battalion :—Lt.-Colonel A. R. Harman, Major A. S. W. Dore, Captain and Adjt. G. M. C. Davidge, Captains
E. F. Du Sautoy W. Adam, F. M. Tomkinson, A. H. Butcher, N. P. Goodwin, F. G. Chamberlin, Lieuts.
A. G. Rollason, H. Adshead, T. C. F. Harris, R. Homfray, R. G. Addenbrooke, R. A. Leighton, R. W. Hoare,
2/Lieuts. H. G. W. Wood, F. D. H. Burcher, G. G. Watson, C. E. W. Simes, W. R. Prescott, J. G. Dixon,
A. G. Gwilliam, E. J- Gore, G. S. Tomkinson, D. B. Drake, R. K. Armstrong, Lieut, and Qmr. R. W. Nield.
l/8th Battalion :—Lt.-Colonel W. K. Peake, Major R. H. H. Creak, Major F. A. W. How, Captain and Adjt. P. R.
Whalley, Captains S. H. Clark, L. Kewrood, H. T. Clarke, A. S. Creak, W. E. L. Cotton, R. H. Burlingham,
E. S. Jones. Lieuts. P. M. Kerwood, F. W. Hemming, W. L. Curtler, J. P. Bate, M. M. J. Neville, j . N.
Bendyshe, H. G. Newman, G. J. L. Slater, 2/Lieuts. C. C. Davies, H. G. C. Carter, K. M. Mylne, H. P. Borlase,
J. J. Paskin, C. R. Pawsey, H. S. Wilson, J. R. Blake, R. J. C. W. Hawtrey, A. Plaistowe, Major and Qmr. D.
Sallis.
(e) l/7th Battn. landed at midnight. l/8th Battn. landed at 1.15 a.m.
(/) ?/7th Battn. entrained 3 p.m. l/8th Battn. entrained 9 p.m.
(g) l/7th Battalion. (h) The Battn. relieved the London Rifle Brigade. (i) Private A. Boot.
(j) This was the first ' immediate award ' given in the 48th Division. Unfortunately the brave corporal later (2nd
June) died of his wounds.
p.67

On April 21st the two Worcestershire battalions changed over, the l/8th relieving the l/7th (a).
17TH On April 25th the battalions again changed over, the l/8th moving back to billets in Ploegsteert
village. Two days later orders were received for the Brigade to shift its position somewhat to
* the right. The shift was effected by moving the l/7th Worcestershire from the left to the right
of the Brigade front, and on April 30th the Battalion took over (b) the trenches immediately south
/OTH of the River Warnave (c). The l/8th Worcestershire relieved the sister Battalion in those trenches
on the last day of April. Thenceforward for some two months the two Battalions held alternately
that same line of trenches.
When out of the line the two Battalions were billetted either in Brigade reserve at Ploegsteert
or in Divisional reserve at Pont de Nieppe.

(a) Who went into billets at Pont de Nieppe.
(6) From the 2nd Monmouthshire of the 4th Division.
(c) Left flank of the Battalion on the line of the river. The l/4th Gloucestershire, hitherto on the right of the Battalion,
were now on the left flank.

p.68
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Helle Eileen.....I,m not good with technology but Simon has just uploaded what I wanted you to see, ask him nicely and he might upload Alberts' name from the roll of honour in the back of Stacke as well. Regards Colin
gilbo139

Postby Davy219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks so much for the detailed information about Albert Hyde. I will digest and read many times in the next few weeks before I go to Belgium.
Colin said if I ask you nicely you may upload a reference in Stackes to Albert Hyde.

Great work. It's good to see so many World War 1 programmes on TV just now to give different viewpoints. I am just watching gradually all of the BBC documentaries from the 50th anniversary on you tube.

Eileen
Davy219

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm

Eileen , you may have checked this already.......a copy of Alberts will is available to order for about £9 from the gov,uk website or google ' soldiers wills '.....I,ve used this service twice and it's very good however they might just contain basic information but still remain very poignant ....".
gilbo139

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 pm

£6....sorry !
gilbo139

Next

Return to First World War