Private Arthur Churchyett died of wounds 1917

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Arthur Churchyett died of wounds 1917

Postby Timlin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Hello,
Can any one help with my queries regarding my late great grandfather.
Private Arthur Churchyett of Kidderminster who died of wounds 15.08.1917. He is buried in the trios arbres cemetery steernwerck nord France. His service number was 21295. I believe he was promoted to lance corporal.

He was in the
Depot Battalion
Regiment 2: Labour Corps
Battalion 2: transferred to 162nd Company.

I would really like to chart his movements from signing up to his end. I do not know what numbered battalion he was in, where he went what he may have seen. I also would like to get more information regarding his wounds.

I would really appreciate your help. Kind regards
Timlin

Re: Private Arthur Churchyett died of wounds 1917

Postby scully » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi,

The only information I have is that he first served with the 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (21295) as a Lance Corporal then transferred to the Depot Worcestershire Regiment before being transferred to 162nd Company of Labour Corps (number changed to 189141) with the rank of Private.

You should be able to get hold of a copy of his service records on www.ancestry.co.uk

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Timlin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Thank You Louis,

Does that mean he was demoted?

Was it usual for soldiers to be transferred so often? i guess so if battalions suffered high numbers of loses?

What is the Depot regiment? Labour corp would have been digging trenches?

Would his service record state which areas he was or his battalion etc?

Thank you again, and i'm sorry for all the question?

best wishes

Gary
Timlin

Postby scully » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Gary,

The rank of Lance Corporal (L/Cpl.) was only an appointment rather than a rank, and was given to privates who were acting NCOs, but could be taken away by the soldier's commanding officer at any time.

The Depot was the Regimental Base Unit usually back in the U.K. at barracks. It is likely he was either wounded or sick and sent back to the Depot until he was fit again. It looks like he was not completely fit for action so he was then transferred to a unit of the Labour Corps overseas. The Labour Corps were manned by officers and other ranks who had been medically rated below the "A1" condition needed for front line service. Many were returned wounded. Labour Corps units were often deployed for work within range of the enemy guns.

If you get a copy of his service record it should provide details of his service including dates and transfers to other units. It should also include date he was first called up for service and the time he was overseas on service. There is usually other personal details to.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Timlin here is a little about Arthur Churchett
CHURCHETT Arthur Pte 189141 Labour Corps, he was struck in the head by a shell fragment and died at 3am on 15/8/17 aged 42 years, formerly 21295 Worcs Reg.
He is buried in Trois Abres Cemetery I.W.4.
The only son of George and Emily Churchett of 4 Albert Rd. He had five sisters Elizabeth aged 44, Edith aged 37, May aged 33, Ethel aged 30 and Lilian aged 28. He had been a Territorial and received a long service medal. He had been rejected for enlistment on 9 occasions and in his efforts to enlist he paid his own railway fare to Norton Barracks in Worcester. He was accepted for home service in February 1915 due to his medical condition. He served in England for 2 years and 5 months before being sent to France.He married Mary Ann Price on 29/6/01, they had eight children Dorothy May(b. 6/9/01) George(b. 20/12/02) Florence Eliza(b.8/6/04) Edith Lillian(b. 3/9/09 Vera(b. 15/10/12 James Francis(b.29/12/13) Phylis(b.16/1/15) and Albert Edward(b.16/5/16). They lived at 5 Garrick Place. He had worked for 17 years as a labourer for Mr C. Smith at the Tannery. His widow remarried becoming Mrs Handley and lived at 89 Daddlebrook Rd, Alveley, Bridgnorth.
Kevin Lynott

Postby Timlin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:42 pm

My word, so much information. How do you know so much Kevin? His daughter Edith is my late gran who I was very close too. It would appear he was in France for 1 month only. Do you know where he joined his regiment, were they already in the Nord region.

Thanks so much Gary
Timlin

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Timlin,
I have researched the names of the men on the Kidderminster War Memorial and the above is what I found out about Arthur Churchyetts

kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Timlin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:44 pm

OK, thankyou. Can i get his service record from ancestry? There was some old family talk he joined up to keep an eye on a son perhaps, who had signed up and then lost his life, but this seems unlikely due to the date of births. I believe his family went into the poor house due to no income and then his widow marrying Handley.

Best wishes
Timlin

Return to First World War