Chevron Three Blue and Gold Stripes Two

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Chevron Three Blue and Gold Stripes Two

Postby Bradley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi

First of all, many, many thanks for allowing me to join the forum. It really is much appreciated.

I'm researching my grandfather Thomas Perkins Bradley 4306 2/7 Battalion and 201822 from July 1917, Worcestershire Regiment, and I'm puzzled by something that is written on his war record. I understand that the Chevron Three Blue refers to the number of years he spent overseas on active service, but underneath this is written Gold Stripes Two. Well, I think that it says stripes as the writing is a little unclear. I have a feeling that they may be wound stripes, as he received a shrapnel wound and was gassed. Am I correct? I'm just starting off on this research after years of promising myself that I would do it, and have been lucky enough to find most of his service record on Ancestry.

Many thanks and much appreciated.

Simon B.
Bradley

Re: Chevron Three Blue and Gold Stripes Two

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:40 am

Hello Simon.....yes you are correct, wound stripes were gold braid or even possibly brass strips worn on the left cuff, you.re lucky that the service papers survived but beware.....researching becomes addictive.........Colin
gilbo139

Postby Bradley » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Many thanks for that Colin. Looking forward to the research and the addiction that comes with it! May well have a dig around the new Dudley Archives now that it's open and see what I can discover about the regiment there.
Bradley

Postby gilbo139 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Hello Simon, when you visit the archives check out the local papers of the time, they often carried reports and pictures of local soldiers, I,ve had a quick look through the berrows illustrated journal index and found nothing but you should be luckier with the Black Country papers...........
gilbo139

Return to First World War