5th war regiment

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

5th war regiment

Postby irosk1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

When my great aunt's husband Peter Martin was first mobilised he was sent to Millbrook in Cornwall and in a postcard written to his wife in Dublin he asks her to address her letters to H Coy (Company?) , 5th War regiment, Millbrook. He had already served with the Second Battalion from 6 May 1895 with the regimental number of 4319. He was discharged in 1902 and/or in the reserves until 1907. He was called up again or volunteered in 1914 and his new number was 8871. He was a sergeant. I have his early record up to his discharge. He wrote another postcard from France to his daughter which is presumably Christmas 1915.
In 1917 10th December he writes another letter to his wife from aboard ship and my guess is that he was near Salonika at the time.

What I would like to know is the movements of this regiment - date of mobilisation, the movements and places where they would have been. Can someone fill in the blanks please?
irosk1

Return to First World War