Private Alfred Thomas Kelleway

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Alfred Thomas Kelleway

Postby Griffo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi.....I have been researching my Grandfather for some time now and nearly have all the history of his lifetime however I have hit a problem with his WW1 army service so I would be grateful to anybody who can help me out here please.

Thomas Alfred Kelleway ( known to be spelt incorrectly as Kellaway on some documentation with an A instead of an E.)

Born 1881 Isle of Wight.......Died 1938 Southsea, Portsmouth. Buried Kingston Cemetry Portsmouth.

Married 1913

Service number at attestation on 8th December 1915 was 68601 in Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Relativly old for call-up at nearly 35 years of age and married. He was a Master Baker by profession.

Here are my questions:

Did he join the Worcestershire Regiment and if so how long did he serve and what was his work/trade?

Did he finish his army service as a Sergeant?...... if so what year was his discharge?

Did he end up in the Hampshire Regiment at some point in time?

I cannot locate his actual army record of service and medals awarded..... why is that?

I do have a photo of him in his army uniform in 1916 and if he served in the Worcestershire Rgt. I shall only be too pleased to add his name and photo to those already showing on the website.

Many Thanks to anyone who can help me fill in the gaps.
Last edited by Griffo on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griffo

Re: Private Alfred Thomas Kelleway

Postby Griffo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Can anyone help please? Especially if he was actually a member of the Worcestershire Regiment would help my research a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Griffo

Postby ukphil » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Have you tried Ancestry, i don't have an account so can not check for you if you have his name and service number then you should get something

However
If he was not in a theater of war (i.e. he stayed in the UK) he would not have a medal index card,
A lot of the service records (WW1) were destroyed in WW2

If he survived try the pension records

Also if you have a photo of his uniform, try scanning in the cap badge and doing a negative image, This worked for me. I had a great uncle who we did no have any details other than a photo. We found from the cap badge he was in the Canadian Fort House Gary and then found out lots of stuff. We never new he went to Canada

Also go to this site it is a good guide and how to research www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/research.html
ukphil

Postby Griffo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:10 pm

ukphil wrote:
> Hi Have you tried Ancestry, i dont have an account so can not check for you
> if you have his name and service number then you should get something
>
> > Also if you have a photo of his uniform, try scaning in the cap badge and
> doing a negative image, This worked for me. I had a great uncle who we did
> no have any details other than a photo. We found from the cap badge he was
> in the Canadian Fort House Gary and then found out lots of stuff. We never
> new he went to Canada
>
>

Thanks for your reply ukphil................

Yes, I have checked Ancestry and have come up only with his Attestation documents as I said in my first posting.

It does say that he went to the Worsestershire Regiment but I do need confirmation of that as a fact because family history has always said he was in the Hampshire Regiment.

I will check out the cap badge image as you have suggested.

Is there not a register though of all those who served in the Worcestshire's? If there is such a register who do you talk to to get confirmation?
Griffo

Postby gilbo139 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Griffo, apologies if you have done this........go back on to Ancestry , get the service papers up again and instead of going forward from the opening page go backwards......there appears to be more papers for your man than the 4 they say. There is mention of a step child and also mention of Dublin.....no mention of Hampshire Regiment............ Colin
gilbo139

Postby Griffo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

gilbo139 wrote:
> Griffo, apologies if you have done this........go back on to Ancestry , get
> the service papers up again and instead of going forward from the opening
> page go backwards......there appears to be more papers for your man than
> the 4 they say. There is mention of a step child and also mention of
> Dublin.....no mention of Hampshire Regiment............ Colin

Thanks gilbo139 for that information. I will go back and check again.

I can confirm that his cap badge on an attestation uniform photograph does show it to be the Worcestershire Regiment so that does confirm one thing at least.
Thanks to ukphil for that helpful tip! (why didn't I think of that!! :mrgreen: )

The step-child is a known family fact. ( that's another story as well! )
Griffo

Postby Griffo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:04 am

Is there anyway of checking whether Alfred Thomas Kelleway was part of the...........
1st (Reserve) Garrison Battalion
Formed in Portsmouth in January 1916. Moved to Ryde in 1917 but returned to Portsmouth early 1918. By June 1918 was at Dublin.

Thanks for any help.................
Griffo

Return to First World War