Arras

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Arras

Postby kiev » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Hello members,
My grandfather was killed at the battle for Arras in France and I wondered if any member could give me any information about him.
My mother was only four years old when he died and has no memory of him.
His wife, my maternal grandmother went rather batty when she got the news that he was dead so no information there also.
These are the details I obtained from the war graves site.
Private John Steventon, service number 201645, age not known, d.o.d 27/05/1917 Arras Memorial.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
kiev

Re: Arras

Postby scully » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi,

Private John Steventon (201645) was serving with the 1/7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment when he was killed on the night of May 27th/28th (1917) when a patrol fight east of Lagnicourt cost the 1/7th Worcestershire 6 killed and 3 captured.
He also had a previous army number which was 3988 which would indicate he served with the Regiment before the war and probably then joined the reserved. The 1/7th was a Territorial Battalion.

Below are some details from the Worcestershire Regiment history of the 1/7th and 1/8th Battalions during the period when he was killed:

In the middle of May 1917 the 48th (South Midland) Division was transferred from the Fourth to the Fifth Army. On 13th May 1917, after a farewell address from General Pulteney (Commanding the 3rd Corps.), the 1/7th and 1/8th Worcestershire set out from Combles (The Brigade had moved from Peronne to Combles on the previous day), and marched northwards across the wasted Somme uplands, the 1/7th Worcestershire by Bancourt to Morchies, and the 1/8th Worcestershire by Villers-au-Flos to Velu Wood. There the two Battalions lay until 21st May 1917, when the 144th Brigade moved forward to the front line. The two Worcestershire battalions took over the line just east of Lagnicourt. Their outpost positions lay across rolling open country, immediately in front of the Hindenburg Line.

In that neighbourhood the two Battalions lay throughout the next six weeks. The weather was glorious. There was little activity (Total casualties. May 21st—July 1st. 1/7th Battalion 4 killed, 3 died of wounds, 20 wounded, 4 missing. 1/8th Battalion 2 killed, 5 wounded.) on either side. The fighting further north was using up units so rapidly that, in order to preserve the 48th Division and the other formations on the southern front for their future trial in Flanders, any aggressive activity on their part at that time was sternly discouraged. The enemy seemed to be acting on the very same principle and attempted no activity.

So the Territorial Battalions remained peacefully either in the outpost line or billetted in rear of it throughout the month of June (Movements of Battalions. Both Battalions in the line May 21st—29th. May 29th—June 6th in billets, 1/7th at Fremicourt, 1/8th at Vein. June 7th—15th in the line. June 16th—22nd in billets, 1/7th at Beugny, 1/8th at Velu. June 23rd—30th both Battalions in the line.). Patrols were carried out each Patrols were carried out each night across the open ground which stretched between the British outposts and the enemy's elaborate defences; but actual encounters were few (On the night of May 27th/28th a patrol fight cost the 1/7th Worcestershire 6 killed and 3 captured. The latter are believed to have been the only prisoners taken from the Battalion in France. On another occasion a patrol of the 1/8th Worcestershire drove a German patrol back to their own wire, where they were bombed by their own side.). The worst trials the troops had to bear were physical, due to the difficulty of getting food and water up to the line. Every effort was made to conceal from the enemy the position of our outposts, and that concealment entailed a certain amount of privation for the troops holding the concealed positions. The enforced absence of cooked food and of washing water was trying to all ranks, but the reward of that abstinence was reaped in the small list of casualties; for the enemy's guns had no sure target.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: Arras

Postby kiev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks scully,
I am very grateful that you took the time to reply to me. Much appreciated.

kiev
kiev

Return to First World War