Help on WW1 research

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Help on WW1 research

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 pm

I am trying to find out about WW1 and my G.Father.

The desire is to know what Bn he served with and then from that where it is likely he served ... then I intend going to take my father to walk the battlefield ............ something he has never done, and as my Father is now in his mid 80-'s don't want to leave it much longer or he may not be up to the trip.
The 100 yr anniversary has prompted me to action.

I have the basics ... his medals which have given me some interesting background ... on his medals of course are his his Reg No.
From this I got a copy of his medal records ...and this shows:
Pte. Edward. S. Hughes DOB 06 Apr 1896
Reg No. 22224 Royal Welsh Fusiliers

however and also news to my father it also lists:
Reg No. 64318 Worcestershire Regiment
Reg No. 576420 Lab corps ( assuming this means Labour corps.?)

He was badly injured in WWI ... both as a result of shelling (profound deafness) and he was also gassed, so he may have been invalided out at some point ... perhaps this is where Labour cops comes in, but we have no idea where the Worcestershire Regiment figures in this.

I have tried National Archives & Ancestry.co.uk ... but no luck there, perhaps he does not feature in the 'unburnt' records.
Are there any records I can search on-line for the Worcestershire Regiment to find out when he was part of this Regiment and maybe understand why he was also in RWF ?

The strange thing is all of the sites have come across have search boxes for name, DOB etc., but none allow for search by Reg No which would seem one of the most obvious search parameters for Military records

Any help appreciated.
Rick

Return to First World War