Soldier of WW1 - Harry Ratchford Lance Corporal

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Soldier of WW1 - Harry Ratchford Lance Corporal

Postby Warwick » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:18 am

I am searching for any information about Harry Ratchford born bet. 1889-1901 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. He served in the Worcestershire Regiment in the 29 and 36 Foot. His service number was 7958. His attestation year was 7th August 1907 and his age was 17years and 4months. I have found a record for him on the CWGC site and he died on 25th July 1915 at Pas de Calais, France. He was a Lance Corporal in the Worcestershire Regiment, service number 11125 and he is buried at Woburn Abbey Cemetery, Cuinchy. CUINCHY. His father was Mr. J. Ratchford, of 7, Pritchett St., Birmingham.

I would appreciate any help to find more information about Harry Ratchford as I believe he was the father of my uncle who was born four months after Harry's death. I know nothing about Harry Ratchford's military life or his parents, where they lived or if he had siblings. He may have been overseas in 1911. Can anyone help please?

Thank you,
Pheobe
Warwick

Re: Soldier of WW1 - Harry Ratchford Lance Corporal

Postby scully » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Pheobe,

If Harry Ratchford, as you say, his attestation year was 7th August 1907 and his age was 17 years and 4 months, then he must have been born about 1890.

Lance Corporal H. Ratchford (11125) shown on the CWGC list was killed 25/07/1915 whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. His father was James Ratchford, of 7, Pritchett Street, Birmingham.

James Ratchford married Emily Daley on the 3rd July 1893 in Birmingham (Bishop Ryder).

During the First World War James Ratchford (Harry Ratchford's father?) enlisted on the 30th June 1916 in to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment with the army number 20102 but this was changed shortly after to 20057 and he was posted to the 7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He never served overseas and was discharged on the 23rd May 1916 due to being medically unfit to serve. Interestingly, James Ratchford army records show that he was living at 7, Pritchett Sreet, Birmingham, with his wife Emily. This matches the address given on the CWGC website against Lance Corporal H. Ratchford (11125) death information. This would therefore confirm that the James Ratchford which I detail here must have been his father.

Looking at the 1901 and 1911 Census records you will find that James Ratchford and Emily Ratchford (nee Daley) show the following children over the two census records:

Emily - born 1896
Catherine - born 1898
Rosanna - born 1900
William - born 1905
Norah - born 1909
But there is no mention of a Harry (or Henry) Ratchford. If as it looks like from the age on his attestation was 17 and he was born in 1890 that that is 3 years before James Ratchford married Emily Daley. If that is the case and Harry (Henry) Ratchford was their child it may be likely that he was looked after by his grandparents. The grandfathers would have been John Ratchford and Henry Daley). Interestingly, as Emily Daley's father was called Henry then it could be she named the baby after him?

This is all some what of a puzzle !!

Hope the above thoughts and information are of some guide!

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Phoebe,

Just a thought.

Did you make a mistake with Harry Ratchford attestation date of 7th August 1907 - could it have been in 1917?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby peter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Phoebe & Louis

1911 census Harry Ratchford aged 20 single serving 2nd Worcesters India. Could find no birth record for Harry (Henry) Ratchford for years 1889 - 1891 (on Ancestry or Free BMD).

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Warwick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Hello Louis

Thank you for sending me such a detailed reply to my query. I have been going through all the information you have sent me trying to connect Harry Ratchford with James and Emily Ratchford (possibly his parents). I've looked but cannot find Harry on the 1891 census and like you I can't find Harry in 1901 but I thought the 1911 census lists him as overseas in India as Peter's reply suggests. I can confirm that the date of Harry Ratchford's attestation papers is 7th August 1907.

The CWGC only mentions Mr. J. Ratchford of 7, Pritchett Street, Birmingham. What evidence is there that the "J" represents James? Sorry to be pernickety.

Just one other thing you've mentioned that James Ratchford enlisted on 30th June 1916 and was discharged on 23rd May 1916, but that can't be right can it? Would James Ratchford's army records be available to me?

I agree it is a puzzle and like Peter I can't find a birth record for Harry Ratchford in 1890-91. I shall keep looking and as you say Harry could have been born before the marriage of his parents and possibly with his mother's surname.

Thank you for taking an interest in my question and the time to respond. It has helped me to know a little more about my uncle's family.

Best wishes
Pheobe
Warwick

Postby Warwick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Thank you for that Peter. I did check Free BMD and found nothing that fits his date of birth.

Regards,
Pheobe
Warwick

Postby scully » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Pheobe,

Sorry typing error with the James Ratchford dates - they should read "enlisted on 30th June 1915 and was discharged on 23rd May 1916."

With regards your query "CWGC only mentions Mr. J. Ratchford of 7, Pritchett Street, Birmingham. What evidence is there that the "J" represents James?" - On James Ratchford service records it has the same address namely "7, Pritchett Street, Birmingham". So I assumed that Harry's father referred to as Mr. J. Ratchford was James.

James Ratchford army papers are on the ancestry.co.uk website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Warwick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:59 am

Hello Louis,

Thank you for replying and with the information. Your help has given me a big step forward into knowing more about Harry Ratchford. This morning I joined Find my Past and I have been reading the army records of James Ratchford. Indeed the address for James 7, Pritchett Street Birmingham is the same as the address on the CWGC for Harry.

Many thanks.
Pheobe.
Warwick

Postby scully » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Pheobe,

I found a photo of Harry Ratchford taken in India 1913 just before returning to the UK. He was with C Company of the 2nd Battalion at the time.

I have emailed you a copy of the photo which was taken from a group photo of the whole company.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Warwick » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Good evening Louis,

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see the photo of Harry Ratchford. Thank you so very much for sending it to me. I doubt I would ever have see it if I had not joined the Worcestershire Regiment Forum.

I am going to be cheeky and ask please if I can have a copy of the group photo of the whole company or is it too large to send?

From the CWGC site it gives his place of death being the Pas De Calais. Would there have been a regimental diary containing information of the battle? If so, would it be available to view or research.

Thank you again, delighted.
Pheobe
Warwick

Postby scully » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Pheobe,

I have emailed you a copy of the group photo.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi Pheobe,

Some details below covering the period 15th June to 2nd August 1915 (2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment)

After dark on June 15th the Battalion went into the forward trenches at Vermelles. In those trenches or in billets behind the line a fortnight was passed. Battalion in front line June 15th—20th (casualties, 1 killed, 5 wounded) and June 23rd—28th (casualties, 4 wounded). From the 20th to the 23rd the Battalion was in billets at Noyelles-les-VermcllesThen the front held by the 1st Corps, of which the 2nd Division formed part, was altered. The Corps took over its former line from Cuinchy past Givenchy to Festubert, and the three Divisions (2nd, 7th and 9th Divisions) of the Corps thenceforward for several weeks held in turn those well-known trenches.

The 2nd Worcestershire, after a short tour in the Givenchy defences (July 5th—8th (casualties, 1 officer, Lieut. R. G. Hale, and 4 men wounded). On July 3rd, Lieut J. D. Wilmott was killed while in charge of a working party) went back to the brickstack position at Cuinchy. The Battalion relieved the 2nd Grenadier Guards in the front line on July 21st. Cuinchy had maintained its reputation as an unpleasant sector of the front, and trench-mortars, mines and counter-mines allowed the troops no rest. At that actual date a large mine shaft was being bored forward towards the enemy line. Early on the morning of July 24th the British sappers working in the mine heard enemy picks striking within a few feet of their heads. Our mine was hastily charged with explosive and fired. The explosion tore up the ground immediately beyond our front line and almost certainly destroyed the enemy's shaft. Heavy enemy shelling followed, and during the ensuing night two enemy mines were sprung; but fortunately both were short of our line. Luck was favouring the Battalion, and the total casualties suffered in the Cuinchy sector were not heavy (July 21st, 26th, 2 killed, 5 wounded. July 31st—August 2nd, 2 killed, 3 wounded): but it was an anxious time, and all ranks were glad of a ten days rest which followed in billets at Beuvry.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Warwick » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 am

Hello Louis,

It sounds as if the Battalion had a rough time of things and those dates would be at the time of Harry's death. It is sad to think that my uncle's father was among those who died in those horrendous conditions. Too frightening to think about. I have been to that area of France in past years and to see the battlefields but in those days I never knew anything about Harry Ratchford. I will go again, where I can pay my respects to Harry and his comrades.

I never thought I would see a photo of Harry and a group one at that. He looks a smart and proud man he will never be forgotten. I shall share the photo and information with my family and I know they will be as pleased as I am.

The responses to my original enquiry have exceeded my expectations. Thank you for giving your time and efforts to search for Harry Ratchford and also his father and providing an insight into their life in the army.

Much appreciated and once again my thanks.
Pheobe.
Warwick

Return to First World War