2nd Battalion pre 28th October 1914

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2nd Battalion pre 28th October 1914

Postby John Crowther » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 pm

I am aware my wife's great uncle Alfred Albert Baskett 12000 died in Polygon Wood on the 28th October 1914. Was his regiment prior to that date involved in any other known battles. We are visiting Ypres in mid October on a Battlefield Tour?
John Crowther

Re: 2nd Battalion pre 28th October 1914

Postby peter » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:58 am

Hi John,

The Battalion were indeed involved in many actions prior to the 28th October when Alfred was KiA. The retreat from Mons action on the Aisne and on the 24th October at Polygon Wood when the Battalion had many casualties.
The following is an extract from the history of the Worcesters in the Great War By Stacke.

The next morning (28th) passed without incident, but that afternoon at last the long-delayed attack took place. Orders issued at 1.20 p.m. and the battalions of the 5th Brigade marched independently to the northern corner of Polygon Wood At 3 p.m. the attack commenced, led by the Connaught Rangers, with the H.L.I. in close support. The Worcestershire and Oxfordshire Light Infantry remained in reserve under cover in a clearing in the wood. The attack of the two leading battalions broke down under devastating shell-fire, which caused also some casualties the troops in reserve (a). The attack was the abandoned.

(a) The 2nd Worcestershire lost 2 killed and 15 wounded.
In fact two other men along with Alfred were KiA on this day, Pte. 8074 Thomas Henry Bennett and Pte. 8463 William Robert Kerston being the other two soldiers. All three are remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Panel 34.

I'm researching the 1914 Star men of the 2nd Battalion Worcestersire Regiment and Alfred is on my database. If you are able to supply any details regarding Alfred and/or a photograph of him in uniform it would be most appreciated.

Hope this is of some help to you and I'm sure your visit to the Ypres area will be a most moving and rewarding experience.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby John Crowther » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Peter, many thanks for your reply and information on the action prior to the 28th October 1914. Unfortunately we do not have any pictures of Alfred Albert Baskett but know he was one of 9 children and at the outbreak of war he was already in the Army as shown in the 1911 Census. Details of Albert are limited, but I have traced my own Grandfather as being in the Worcestershire Regiment in the 1914 war, he being severely gassed in May 1918 but he never spoke about it.

Regards, John Crowther.
John Crowther

Postby jeavons » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello John/Peter
Alfred Albert Baskett was my wife`s great uncle also! I cannot add much to the information already provided although I have tried to piece together his time in France on the basis of the activities of the 2nd Battalion according to regimental histories. I have also researched the Baskett family back to the marriage of George Basket in Quinton, Gloucestershire, in 1760. You are welcome to any of this information if it is helpful. (jeavons.ij@blueyonder.co.uk)
One intriguing aspect of the details available for him (on the Commonwealth War Graves site) is that his next of kin is given as Sarah Ann Baskett of 2/16 Gladstone Street. This was indeed his mother but his father was still alive at the time. William Baskett (John`s wife`s great grandfather) did not die until 1921 when at the age of 83 he fell in the yard of the house in Gladstone Street and fractured his thigh. A verdict of accidental death was given at the inquest. Unfortunately there is no memorabilia on this side of the family of Alfred. In fact until I researched the family history nobody in the family knew of him or of 2 other great uncles of my wife who died in the Great War. One was also in the Worcesters. William Barton was in the 4th Battalion (Service No.35284) and he died on the 14th October 1918 at the Battle of Courtrai and was buried in Dadizeele Cemetery. His wife had died the year before and his next of kin was Miss Beatrice Barton, his 10 year old daughter.
Ian Jeavons
jeavons

Postby peter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Ian

Thank you for the offer of information regarding Alfred. If you can clear up one detail it would help, that regarding his name. I have only found a Alfred Baskett born December Q. 1892 Aston but nothing for a Alfred Albert Baskett (as shown on CWGC, Soldiers died and 1911 census details).

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby jeavons » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hello Peter,
All I can say at present is that they are the same person though it is strange that `Albert` should suddenly appear in later records. I will get a copy of the birth registration to see whether `Albert` appears there. It will be useful for the wider family research. I will let you know the outcome.
Ian
jeavons

Postby jeavons » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Hello Peter
There is no Albert in Alfred Baskett`s birth registration but it is definitely `our` Alfred: same address, and same father and mother.
Where the Albert comes from is a mystery. My only guess is that it may have become a nickname which he adopted when he was in the army.
For your information the details of Alfred`s birth are as follows:
Alfred Baskett. Born 26 September 1892 at 2 Court, Gladstone Street, Aston Manor, Warwickshire. Father William (a general labourer). Mother Sarah Ann Baskett, formerly Clark.
Informant Sarah Ann Baskett of 2 Court, Gladstone Street. Signed by mark
Best Wishes
Ian
jeavons

Postby peter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the additional information on his birth details. Sorry for this late reply.

Regards

Peter
peter

Return to First World War