Brothers Stephen & Enoch Mumford

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Brothers Stephen & Enoch Mumford

Postby anncp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Hello
I am looking for any information regarding the 2 brothers. What i have is - Stephen born 15 Dec 1894 Service No. 4369 formerly 24739 of Worcs. Regt M.M.he died 6th Oct 1918 France and is buried Glageon Communal Cemetery. I would like to know if there are any photos of him, what happened to him - i know it was war but more information would be great.
His Brother Enoch was born 8th Mar 1898 Service no. 45262 of 4th 10th Worcs Regt.he did survive but i did find a letter to his mother Ellen stating the following
Pte 45262 A*Coy (dont understand A coy) Worcester Regt France. Missing since April 13th 1918. dated 3rd July 1918 i have asked my mother-in-law as this was her father but she does not no anything. How do i find out more information on this, was he prisioner of war or what?
Any information you have or can point me to would be really appreciated. What part did they action in this war.
Thank you all in advance. Ann
anncp

Re: Brothers Stephen & Enoch Mumford

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 am

Name: Stephen Mumford
Birth Place: Alcester, Warwick
Death Date: 6 Oct 1918
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Redditch
Regiment: Machine Gun Corps
Battalion: (Infantry)
Regimental Number: 4369
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Comments: Formerly 24739, Worcs Regt., M.M.
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:22 am

Name: Stephen Mumford
Age in 1911: 16
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Alcester, Warwickshire
Civil Parish: North Redditch
County/Island: Worcestershire
Street address: Butlers Hill, Redditch
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Bromsgrove
Registration District Number: 382
Sub-registration district: Tardebigg
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household schedule number: 16
Piece: 17813
Household Members:
Name Age
Harry Mumford 37
Ellen Mumford 41
Nellie Mumford 18
Stephen Mumford 16
Enoch Mumford 13
Lily Mumford 10
Harold Mumford 7
Winifred Mumford 4
Dennis Mumford 1
Ernest Mumford 5/12

View original image
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 pm

A little bit on army organisation:

ERROR://www.1914-1918.net/whatbatt.htm
Simon_Fielding

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:41 pm

anncp wrote:
> Hello
> I am looking for any information regarding the 2 brothers. What i have is
> - Stephen born 15 Dec 1894 Service No. 4369 formerly 24739 of Worcs. Regt
> M.M.he died 6th Oct 1918 France and is buried Glageon Communal Cemetery. I
> would like to know if there are any photos of him, what happened to him - i
> know it was war but more information would be great.
> His Brother Enoch was born 8th Mar 1898 Service no. 45262 of 4th 10th Worcs
> Regt.he did survive but i did find a letter to his mother Ellen stating the
> following
> Pte 45262 A*Coy (dont understand A coy) Worcester Regt France. Missing
> since April 13th 1918. dated 3rd July 1918 i have asked my mother-in-law
> as this was her father but she does not no anything. How do i find out
> more information on this, was he prisioner of war or what?
> Any information you have or can point me to would be really appreciated.
> What part did they action in this war.
> Thank you all in advance. Ann

Contact me and I might have a little more information for you. withnail1967ATgmail.com AT = @
Simon_Fielding

Postby anncp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Simon_Fielding wrote:
> anncp wrote:
> > Hello
> > I am looking for any information regarding the 2 brothers. What i have is
> > - Stephen born 15 Dec 1894 Service No. 4369 formerly 24739 of Worcs. Regt
> > M.M.he died 6th Oct 1918 France and is buried Glageon Communal Cemetery. I
> > would like to know if there are any photos of him, what happened to him - i
> > know it was war but more information would be great.
> > His Brother Enoch was born 8th Mar 1898 Service no. 45262 of 4th 10th Worcs
> > Regt.he did survive but i did find a letter to his mother Ellen stating the
> > following
> > Pte 45262 A*Coy (dont understand A coy) Worcester Regt France. Missing
> > since April 13th 1918. dated 3rd July 1918 i have asked my mother-in-law
> > as this was her father but she does not no anything. How do i find out
> > more information on this, was he prisioner of war or what?
> > Any information you have or can point me to would be really appreciated.
> > What part did they action in this war.
> > Thank you all in advance. Ann
>
> Contact me and I might have a little more information for you.
> withnail1967ATgmail.com AT = @

I have emailed you. Thank you Ann
anncp

Postby scully » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi Ann,

A Coy simply means he served in 'A' Company of the Battalion.

With regards Enoch Mumford (45262)
Whilst serving in 'A' Company, 4th Battalion. Reported as missing since 13th April 1918 at Tournant Farm.
DETAILS FROM 4th BATTALION HISTORY SHOWS:
The 4th Battalion had been billetted in Poperinghe on 21st March 1918 when the first news came of the German offensive further south. The Battalion was under orders for the line, and next evening (March 22nd) the 4th Worcestershire moved up to their former trenches near Tournant Farm. There the Battalion stayed for many days. The reduction of troops in the Salient prevented the normal system of relief: battalions had to hold firm where they stood, and all that could be done was for the front-line companies to change over with those further back. The enemy's artillery shelled the positions intermittently, causing several casualties, but the German infantry were inactive. Little of note occurred, but the long tour in the trenches was trying to all ranks, and physical weariness was beginning to affect both officers and men by the time that orders came for relief. On April 6th came word that the 41st Division would take over the line, and that the 29th Division would move back for training, preparatory to proceeding to the battle area further south.

It was understood that Arras would be their destination. On April 8th the officers of the relieving battalion, came up to reconnoitre the position. The relief was arranged to take place during the following night.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Robin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Hello Ann,

Stephen Mumford appears on our War Memorial at Beoley, Worcs. He enlisted in October 1915 when living 'at Dagnel End Farm, nr Redditch, Worcesters' (Redditch Indicator). He was awarded a Military Medal, the citation for this appears in 'The London Gazette' 3rd Supplement, 29th March 1918 (No. 30606 page 4020). However, the citation doesn't give the circumstances in which the Medal was won. Several years ago, I did contact the Machine Gun Corps Research Group and paid for someone to go to Kew to see if Stephen's Service Records still existed, but sadly they were amongst those burnt during the Second World War. They did however suggest that his Military Medal may have been won during the battle of Ypres in October or November 1917. Stephen was recorded in the Red Cross Enquiries List as being 'Missing in Action' on 27th May 1918.
Whilst searching for information on Stephen, I also found a record card from the Red Cross regarding an enquiry for information from Mrs Mumford regarding Enoch, who was recorded as 'Missing in Action' since 13th April 1918. A 'negative envoye' reply was recorded as having been sent on 3/7/18.
I hope that this information is of use to you. Whilst writing, our church, St. Leonard's, Beoley, Worcs. is holding a 'Snowdrop Weekend' over the weekend of 14th & 15th February at which I am sharing what information I have so far discovered on the Fallen of the Parish. If you are able to attend, I would be more than happy to share the documentation I have with you and would welcome the opportunity to discover anything more about Stephen & Enoch Mumford.

Hope this has been useful,
Robin.
Robin

Postby anncp » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying, it has been one thing and another, but would like to thank you all for replies to my questions.
Very much appreciated
Ann
anncp

Postby Robin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Hello Ann,

This is just to say that our Church is again holding their 'Snowdrop Weekend' on 13/14th February when my researches into the names on Beoley's War Memorial will be on display. If you would like to come and see what I've found out about Stephen Mumford, I'd be delighted to talk to you. I'd be interested to know if any photographs of the brothers exist because I'd like to include one of Stephen (in or out of uniform) in his folder of information.
The address is St. Leonard's Church, Beoley, Worcs., B98 9AR. Opening times: 10am to 4.30pm (Sat) & 1pm to 4pm (Sun).

Robin.
Robin

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello again Ann,
Some further details regarding Stephen's Military Medal have come to light via enquiries with the MGC Database. In the War Diary of his unit, his act of bravery is recorded thus:

'...In the Passchendaele sector during the night of 9/2/1918 this man showed the greatest skill and coolness when clearing guns from SEINE DUMP by horse transport under most trying circumstances'.

So far I have been unable to locate 'Seine Dump', hopefully someone else can help us with this.

One further thing. A community project in Redditch is creating a Memorial within the Parish of Beoley to commemorate the Centenary of the end of World War One. They have chosen to dedicate this on the centenary of Stephen's passing. The date has been chosen because his is the last confirmed death of the men who served from Beoley. The project has asked me to contact you and invite you, as a relative of Stephen, to attend the Dedication.
Please contact me at rsimmons7317@gmail.com so I can share the details with you.

Robin.
Robin

Return to First World War