william thomas roberts, pte 203806, 1/7th Battalion.

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

william thomas roberts, pte 203806, 1/7th Battalion.

Postby lizcoley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Can anyone help with information about the life of William Thomas Roberts, of 1/7th Battalion? He was killed in action on 22/02/1917, (france and flanders). He enlisted in Worcester and was born in Tewesbury. I think his fathers name was Henry.

I am researching my family history, and there is a mysterious 'Thomas Roberts' named as 'father' on my grandmothers birth certificate. No one knows who her father was, and its likely that her parents were not married. However the birth certificate says that Thomas Roberts was in the 1/7th, worcestershire Regiment (and also a farmer). The only Thomas Roberts that appears to be a match is William T Roberts. I have already contacted the Worcestershire Regimental Archives team, who have kindly provided the above information. I would be interested to hear from anyone who could provide further information on this person, to help me solve this puzzle,

Many thanks
Liz
lizcoley

Postby scully » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:13 am

Hi Liz,
Apart from producing this website my other hobby is genealogy and I have found the following information for you:

William Thomas Roberts was in the 1/7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and was killed in action on the 22nd February 1917 (age 22) his army number was 203806.
He was the son of Henry Thomas Roberts and Harriet Jones. His grandfather was George Roberts.

The 1901 Census shows William Thomas Roberts (then aged 6) with his parents - details below:
Henry Thomas Roberts - age 31 - born at Longdon - General Labourer
Harriet Roberts - wife - age 24 - born at Queenshill - Housemaid Domestic
Annie E. Roberts - daughter - age 7 - born at Holdfast
William Thomas Roberts - son - age 6 - born at Queesnhill
Elisa Eva Roberts - daughter - age 4 - born at Queenshill
George H. Roberts - son - age 2 - born at Queenshill

Note: According to the General Register Records for marriages - Henry Thomas Roberts married Harriet Jones in 1892 (she was a very young bride).

The 1881 Census shows Henry Thomas Roberts (then age 11) with his parents at Captains Hill Cottage, Tewkesbury, Gloustershire - details below:
George Roberts - Head - age 48 - Born at Longdon - occupation is a Carter
Ann M. Roberts - Wife - age 47 - Born at Eldersfield - occupation Farmwork
Henry Thomas Roberts - son - age 11 - born at Longdon - Scholar
William A. Roberts - son - age 6 - born at Longdon - Scholar

The 1871 Census show the above family as follows:
Living at Church End Cottage, Longdon
George Roberts - Head - age 38
Ann Roberts - Wife - age 37
Mary Ann Roberts - daughter - age 11
Eliza Roberts - daughter - age 5
Henry thomas Roberts - son - age 1

I hope this information is of help in building up your family tree.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:45 am

Liz,

Some more information for you.

On the 1891 Census it show the grandparents of William Thomas Roberts were living at Slades green Road, Longdon.
The details on the 1891 Census were as follows:
George Roberts - Head - age 59 - born Longdon - occupation Agricultural Labourer.
Ann M. Roberts - Wife - age 57 - born Eldersfield
scully
Site Admin

Thomas Roberts 203806

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:58 am

Hello Liz, Lots of good information coming your way from Louis, only a little bit from me! You dont give your grandmother's date of birth but I rekon it is between January 1915 and November 1917. Is that correct, please? Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

william thomas roberts

Postby lizcoley » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:42 am

Hi mike,

my grandmother (Florence Mary Roberts) birthday was 13 april 1917. She didnt know her parents, as she was brought up in a number of 'foster' homes. She was told that her mother had given her up following receipt of news that her father had been killed in action. Although i should point out that as my grandmother did not know her parents, we have no specific evidence that the information she was given about her father being killed was true.

From my grandmother's birth certificate, her mother is identified as florence roberts -formerly griffiths-, 216 balsall heath road, Birmingham. But i can't find any record of her parents being married. And the family that lived at this address in 1917 was 'Palser' not 'Roberts' or 'Griffiths'. So my grandmother's parents are both shrouded in mystery.

Thanks very much to both you and Louis for your help, its very kind of you to take an interest in this mystery! Your help is very much appreciated.

kind regards,
liz
lizcoley

Postby scully » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Liz,

I have some more information for you:

The 1861 Census shows details of George Roberts who was the grandfather of your William Thomas Roberts, details below:

1861 CENSUS
Living at Honey Pots, Sink Lane, Hanley Castle

George Roberts - Head - age 28 - born at Longdon - occupation a Carter
Ann Maria Roberts - Wife - age 27 - born at Elderfield
Mary Ann Roberts - Daughter - age 1 - born at Hanley Castle
Isaac Hawker - Visitor - age 19 - born at Eldersfield - occupation labourer

I also check the 1841 Census and found details og William Roberts who was the Great Grandfather of William Thomas Roberts, details below:

1841 CENSUS
Living at the village of Abberton

William Roberts - Head - age 45
Georgina Roberts - Wife - age 40
William Roberts - son - age 12
Eliza Roberts - daughter - age 10
George Roberts - son - age 7 (he was the grandfather of your William Thomas Roberts)
Lyddia Roberts - daughter - age 4
Georgina Roberts - age 8 months

I looked for the above family again on the 1851 Census and fruit up with the following:

1851 CENSUS
William Roberts - Head - age 55
Georgina Roberts - Wife - age 50
Eliza Roberts - daughter - age 19
Georgina Roberts - daughter - age 10
Jane Roberts - daughter - age 7 (she died later in 1859)

I hope you can make sense of all this information and put it together.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

William Roberts

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 am

Hello Liz, I can see your dilemma, is Pte William Thomas Roberts 203806 your great grandfather. I am sure he is. I rekoned your grandmother was born between January 1915 and November 1917 because Jan 15 was when William joined the Worcesters and of course he died in Feb 1917. There are 2 other Roberts who died in the 1/7th Bn. but they were in before the war started and would have considered themselves to be in the 7th Bn. The 1/7th Bn. was only formed late in 1914. Your grandmother was born 3 weeks after he was killed, so it fits with what she was told. Williams arrival and departure from the Worcesters is in the correct time frame for her birth. There was a Florence Griffiths of the correct age living in Aston in 1901 . The fact the named residents at Balsall Road dont fit is not material to the argument. There was mass movement of people, trying to be together for short periods of leave, work, etc. etc.. People were lodging in all sorts of accomodation. It was common to rent just a room in those days. Also some of William's relatives in the 1901 were listed as agricultural workers, fits with him calling himself a farmer. He was probably using a bit of licence in calling himself a farmer. Many soldiers also changed a 1st name they did not like, when they joined up. I hope this helps your quest. Best wishes Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

regmtl number question

Postby lizcoley » Wed May 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your help with my research on William Thomas Roberts. i have another quick question, and would be grateful for any help you can offer.

On the national archives website i found William's medal record which records his regmtl number as both 203806 and 20841. On this website his number is listed as 203806, but on the GRO death index, he is listed as 20841. Is there any reason why a soldier may have/use 2 sets of reg. numbers? Grateful for any advice

many thanks and kind regards
Liz Coley
lizcoley

Return to First World War