Pte Joseph Smith 2nd Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte Joseph Smith 2nd Battalion

Postby smudge » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi folks, I am trying to find out some history on my Great Grandad Joseph Smith. I'm lucky in as much as, I have a lot of hand written letters from the records dept to his wife regarding his injuries and which field hospital he was in etc. But rather confusingly he is refered to using two different army numbers and two Regts.

My conclusion is, that he was shot, and then subsequently joined a different unit and was given a different number. Or she was sent information that was not related to her husband but rather a different Joe Smith. I hope perhaps someone could shed some light as to wether men were moved after wounding, and would this involve a new army number?

I have the following information.

Medals are stamped Pte Joseph Smith 13720 2nd Worcestershire Regt
Letter dated 30/10/1915 I regret to inform you... 13720 Pte J Smith admitted 22 field ambulance ... gunshot wounds...

Letter dated 18/08/1917 I regret to inform you... 31918 Pte Joe Smith
12 btn Hants admitted St Elmo Military Hosp, Malta... gunshot wounds both thighs and severe fractures...

There are countless other letters but I'll save you all the boredom :)

Hope someone can shed some light. many thanks
smudge

Postby scully » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:01 pm

The Joe Smith you refer to in the letters is the same person. His medal index card show he was first serving with the Worcestershire Regiment and then later transferred to the Hampshire Regiment and this would also account for the different numbers. So the information you have is correct.

At the time he was first wounded at the end of October 1915 the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment were at a location called Hohenzollern Redoubt. The 22nd Field Ambulance Station was also in that area.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby smudge » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:31 am

Thanks very much, thats what I expected. The confirmation helps me move on to round two with confidence. Round two, is to try and figure out where he was when wounded. I've been told on another forum to check WO95 Natinal Archive for 2nd Battalion War diaries that may detail the actions for the first peiod in question.

I'll post my findings. Thanks again.
smudge

Postby AJS » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:44 am

A copy of the 2nd Worcestershire War Diary is kept at Norton HQ. Is this nearer to you than Kew?
AJS
AJS

Return to First World War