John Thomas Jones (Lot of Help required)

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John Thomas Jones (Lot of Help required)

Postby allanp » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:16 pm

I am searching for information on my Grandfather John Thomas Jones. I have very little information to go on only what I have managed to get from the family. John lived in the Birmingham area of lozells/Handsworth and was a glass cutter before joining up during the war. I strongly beleve that he gained a Kings Commission on the Somme battlefield as he told all the family that only the King could take it away. He may have been commissioned as a Lieutenant. Unfortunatly all his papers and his photo in uniform have been lost. I have been told that he was in the Worcestershire Regiment by an old relative. I don't want his memory to go the same way as his photo. I would be grateful for any help or advise as to where locally I can find any information.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby brummy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi Allan

I have found a reference to a Jones, J., T Cpl in "The Great War Roll " for Birmingham, although it says that he was part of the 1/8th Royal ?? Regt. it has an address at 95, Boulton Rd, Handsworth, the paragraph reads

He joined in Feb 1916 and shortly afterwards proceeded to the Western Front. After taking part in many important engagements in this theatre of war he was transfered to Italy, and there saw much severe fighting until killed in action. He was entitled to the General Service and victory medals

Hope this may be of some help

Regards

?/?
brummy

Postby allanp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks Brummy for your help. I have managed to find after a lot of searching that my Grandfathr was actually in the Wiltshire Regiment. I didn't realise that men would be sent where they were needed rather than their local regiment. Stands to reason with the great loss of live during the war. I need further help though on my Great Uncle who was in the Worcestershire Regiment but I have started a new post on him. Again thanks for your help. regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War