2nd Lt Francis Thomas Bell ( born c1893 - Stourbridge)

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby Jasmine » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:01 pm

I have a photograph of my great uncle Francis Bell in uniform and I have been trying to find out more about his war service. An experienced WWI researcher has told me that he was a member of the Worcestershire Regiment. He has a wound stripe on his left cuff and overseas service stripes - these seem to be the same colour so would indicate post 1916. However his rank pip is pre-1916. It also seems he was awarded a gallantry medal, possibly the DSO.

Unfortunately I cannot find his medal record card on any of the usual sites, nor any record of his commission, nor in fact any trace of him in any of the on-line WWI sites.

Can anyone suggest how I might pursue my investigation?

His younger brother, 2nd Lt Ernest John Bell (b c 1897 - Stourbridge) also served in the Worcestershire Regiment and I have found his medal record entry. He was placed on the retired list in February 1918 as a result of ill health on active service.

Would the term "ill health" cover war wounds or something else?

Many thanks
Jasmine
Jasmine

Postby PSAOJtCIMICGp » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Jasmine

A good place to look is normally the London gazette on line. All officers in the Army have their commissions published in the Gazette, hence the term 'Gazetted'. Also gallantry awards like the DSO are also published in the Gazette. It is unlikely he would have been awarded a DSO as a 2Lt as normally they are only awarded to officers of Maj and above. Without seeing the photo it would be difficult to identify the medal.

Anyway I have had a quick look and could find no record of Francis Thomas Bell or indeed F. T. Bell. If you try and have no luck it is worth sending the Gazette an e mail as they have access to better search engines than those on the site.

Good Luck
P A D SENTER
Capt
PSAO Jt CIMIC Gp
PSAOJtCIMICGp

Postby Jasmine » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Thank you for the reply ??.?/? I have searched the London Gazette without success, but will try the direct email approach.

It is a complete mystery - I have two photographs, one full length and one head and shoulders, of him in uniform but can find absolutely no other trace of him in military records (on-line).

I was hoping that perhaps the Regiment had some records which might make mention of him.
Jasmine
Jasmine

Research

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Hello Jasmine, sorry I cant help directly with your quest but I may be able to point you in another direction. This website, brilliant though it is, is unofficial. No one that I know of on this website has a direct link to the official researchers at Worcester. The people with all the archives (especially documents on officers) are at Worcester Regiment Archives, Norton Barracks, Worcester WR5 2PA. There is an acknowledgement and link to them on the Home page of this website. They have a group of volunteer researchers who will deal with any questions. A donation to the very archives you need is always appreciated. Regards Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Jasmine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks Mike - I'll contact them today.
Jasmine
Jasmine

Postby Jasmine » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:54 pm

Just to report an excellent service from the volunteer researchers who found information about my great uncle and passed it on to me within a couple of days.
Jasmine
Jasmine

Return to First World War