CWGC

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

CWGC

Postby peter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:00 pm

The following are listed as killed but are not on the CWGC site.
7468 Pte. John thomas Jefferies
8468 Pte. william Robert Kerston
7572 Sgt. George Henry Mason
8034 Pte. George Slymn
9375 Pte Ernest Thomas Woodley

All served with the 2nd Battalion and were killed in 1914.

Does anyone know why they are not listed?

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Peter,

7572 Sgt. George Henry Mason (my wife's Great Uncle) is listed on CWGC site. He is remembered on the memorial at La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre
Ash

Postby peter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Ash

Thanks for information. I went back into CWGC site and was successful. My grandfather served with the 2nd Battalion in 'D' Company and I am tracing his army career thus my interest in other soldiers he served with. He went to France in August 1914 and was wounded sometime between October 31st and the end of the year.

Regards

Peter
peter

Grandfathers

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Hello Peter, I have never before replied to an enquiry where I did not know the full name of the enquirer, my own strange quirk but since your grandfather was with my grandfather and may even have helped bury him, well. You cant find them because of mis-spelling, not all of it yours! Pte. Jefferies 7468 is on the La Ferte-sous-Jouarre but CWGC spell him Jeffries (no E).. Pte Kerston 8463 is on the Menin Gate but spelt Kersten.. Pte Woodley 9375 is on the Menin Gate but I think you have spelt this one wrong because his name is Woolley. Same with Pte Slymn 8034, he is on Menin Gate but spelt Slynn. Regards Mike Jones from Gillingham
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby peter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:21 am

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your information on the four 2nd Battalion men I could not find on the CWGC site. My original source for names came from Soldiers Died in the Great War (Worcesters) and some details are not all together very clear, hence 8468 and not 8463 for Pte Kerston (Kersten) and Woodley for Woolley. So thank you for clearing those points up. I now have the full list of soldiers that died from August 1914 when the Regiment went to France and December 1914, well I think I have. This period would be when my grandfather Pte 13049 Frederick Wilson Tullett 'D' Company served. He was wounded on or after 31st October ( I know he was at Gheluvelt) and early 1915. I have received information from you before on my garndfather regarding his service number as I know this is your particular interest.

Regards

Peter Rose (Birmingham)

P.S. What was your grandfathers name and what company did he serve with?
peter

Grandfathers

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:54 am

Hello Peter, I do remember you, because of our previous contact, your grandfather is in one of my data-bases, thank you. Due to a mal-function of my computer I lost all E/mails and some records. My grandfather was Pte. Richard Marsh 9078. I would dearly love to know which company he was in but I dont as yet know. I hope in the near future the information will come to light. There are at least two men working hard on the Worcestershire Regiment Medal Rolls at the moment. From what I have seen of the information they have, it can be worked out which company a man was in. Gheluvelt is something I am working on at the moment as well but then so are others. The idea is to find out who was there, we know who died, thats the easy bit. How far have you got with the story? Regards Mick
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby peter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Hello Mike,

My interest in Gheluvelt is that I can trace my granfathers Army details up to that date. I am certain he was at Gheluvelt but after this date I have no proof of him being on active service with the Regiment. It would appear that his army records were destoyed in WWII but I have his RAF service records that give a little information on his previous Army service. Like you say finding details of those that were killed on the 31st October is the easy bit, but details for those wounded not so. I have details for August from the War Diary (2nd Batt.) and Stackes excellent book on the Worcesters for reference for day to day activity. Using CWGC site and Soldiers Died in the Great War (Worcesters) I have compiled a list of those killed or died of wounds from August (none) until December 1914, with some additional details on a few from the 1901 census and web sites.

Regards

Peter
peter

Return to First World War