How to research a Great War Soldier

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

How to research a Great War Soldier

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 am

Hello Fellow Researchers,
many of the visitors to this website want more information on their Grandfather, Great grandfather, Grand-uncle or simply a soldier they have come across. If the soldier served in the 1st World War (The Great War), we already have a list of places for you to check out. If you look back in the Forum to a posting called "My Grandfather" by Paul dated December 21st 2006, this will give you most of the leads you will need to follow up. The leads are in plain English, NONE of that WW.org//complicated /;;forwardslash\font/rubbish.
I would like to give my own thanks to Louis Scully, owner, administrator and chief worker of this website. He funds this whole set-up. I only come here to learn and help spread the word of the Worcestershire Regiment.
I wish you Happy and successful Researching Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

An Update

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Hello Fellow Researchers,
Just refreshing this Posting, in order to bring it to the top for new visitors to the website. If you think there are any more sources of information that could be used, please let us all know. Post them on here. Please bear in mind that for many people, complicated Search engines are a "No, go area".
Regards Mike Jones
Last edited by Mike Jones on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Refreshing

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Hello everyone,
Just bringing this to the top again for new members. One of the main things people want to know, is which Battalion within the Regiment their man was in. They can then follow his movements through the war. Just because a man served or even died in the 2nd Bn. it does not follow that he was never in another Bn.. For instance, 79 men who were in the 3rd Battalion in August 1914, subsequently died in other battalions. There is a way of finding out which different battalions a man was in but it is not easy. It is not complicated either, the problem is you have to get yourself to Kew, in London and look up the Medal Rolls. They are NOT on line. There is NO other place to see the Medal Rolls. Regimental Archives at Norton barracks do not have the Medal Rolls but they do have all the Silver War Badge Awards.
A Forum is only as good as the people who come on in to talk or exchange information. It disappoints me that more people dont come on in to help. We could do with someone who can navigate through the 1901 census. There are also plenty of people out there with Captain Stacke's Regimental History. Look ups are needed by people just passing through. If you are a serious researcher of the Worcestershire Regiment, you MUST have a Stacke. However, if your man was killed 3 weeks after being at the front, do you really need such a bloody big book ? Come on in, no one is going to be anything but pleased.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Post number 4, Identity problem

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:06 am

Hello All,
Main purpose of this posting is to bring this subject to the top again. There are new members coming on line and asking for pointers on how to research "Their" man. Saves a lot of repeated typing if they get pointed in this direction. Since I started this thread Ancestry have released a lot of good information on Great War soldiers. It is a subscription service but well worth the money to a serious researcher. Put Ancestry.co.uk into the Yahoo search box and up comes a free 2 week trial! As well as being able to check birthdates, Ancestry have colour images of most Medal Index Cards. Bit by bit they are releasing the surviving service records.

I know this must sound arrogant but anyone wanting my help must tick certain boxes. I will NOT correspond with anyone whose PROPER name I do not know. I will not talk to anyone calling themselves " Phyco 48 " or " Hillbilly " or any other similar name.

1. I want a real name! John, George, Harry, Janet etc.. I DON'T need your surname but it would be nice to know it.

2. I DO want a regional location of where you live, such as Worcestershire, Cornwall or even Scotland. I have no prejudices, I will even talk to our cousins in Australia.

You can join Louis Scully's website with almost any Avatar or false name you want (I do not have a problem with that) but if you want a reply from ME sign off your posting with a sensible name, just like the old days. You can go back and edit your registration or posting, if needs be.
Sorry Mike Jones
Last edited by Mike Jones on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

added me name to the bottom!
steve beard
beardie

My Quirks

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am

Morning Steve,
It is appreciated, thank you. I just cant take to this new "Cyberworld". I have great respect for the world the men of 1914 lived in. It seems deeper when you knew who your mates were. Now, no one even knows who their neighbours are. Do you remember the days when you knew everyone in the Street? Probably showing my age now, which is 60 years young!
Thanks Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:22 pm

hi mike,
i live in a different area to you in the west midlands! we have neigbours running a collection when someone dies!

when my mrs was born her parents were living in the street and several houses full of other family members.

after living here for a dozen years, they have stoppeed calling me tina's husband :lol:
steve
steve beard
beardie

Postby nboorn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Mike,
Not sure if you are still able to help with research?
I am trying to research my great grandfather - Ernest Joseph Boorn, 204225, Worcestershire regiment, 2/8th btn.
I know he died of wounds, and is buried in Grand Saurecourt graveyard (which we went to visit recently)
I am trying to track down a bit more information, and wondered if you are able to help?

Many thanks in advance
Nick Boorn
nboorn

Return to First World War