Hill G. W Sergt 4th Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Hill G. W Sergt 4th Battalion

Postby allanp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 pm

I have just received a copy of the Nation Roll of the Great War and have managed to find my Great Uncle G. W. Hill who was a Serjeant in the 4th battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He served in India before the war and served at Gallipoli where he was badly wounded. When he had recovered he spent 6 months as an Instructor at Devonport before going to France. He was eventually killed at Vimy Ridge in 1917. I have searched the CWGC site to find where he is buried or commemorated but he is not there. I have also checked the National Archive for his medal record but again I have had no luck. Unfortunatly I do not have his Regimental number so I am hoping that someone can help me with any ideas as to were to look next. Is it possible to search the Regiments archive? I would be grateful for any help. Allan
allanp

Postby scully » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm

The only near match I can find is a George William Hill (Lance Sergeant) his number was 12631 and he was killed in action on 28th April 1916 at the time of his death he was serving with the 3rd Battalion. He is commemorated at the Arras Memorial. Could this be the G. W. Hill your looking for.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby allanp » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi Scully. Thanks for you reply. Yes this is my Great Uncle. The Regimental Roll of Honour shows his number as 21631 not 12631. I had a lot of problems tying to find him as the CWGC site does not show any next of kin etc. There were only rumours in my family about an uncle that had been killed in the Great War so he was nearly forgotten. I've found him now. its important that these men are not lost a second time. I will be travelling to Arras for the 90th aniversary rememberance day in April, so when I look at his name on that wall, he will know that he is still remembered. Thanks again for your help. Regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War