Help required.

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Help required.

Postby DCLI » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 pm

My great uncle joined the Worcesters in September 1914, his number was 17969 can anyone tell me which battalion he would have been in?

He later transferred to the 52 bn MGC no. 19592, any ideas when he might have transferred?

And just in case, anyone have his, medals and plaque?

Best regards

PS. this is my first posting here - recommended by WFA Forum, where I usually hang out.
In rememberance of my Great Uncle, Frank E Johnson, of Halesowen, the Worcesters and MGC, who never came back from France in 1918.
DCLI

Frank Johnson

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:37 am

Hello DCLI or whatever, I wish I knew your name, I do not usually answer when I dont know who I am talking to but I have such good information on your man, it is a shame to waste it. Plus you inadvertently did me a big favour! Anyhow as you know your great uncle joined the Worcesters early September 1914. He got issued the number 17969, standing just behind him were two brothers, Lewis and Bertie Rogers. They got 17973 and 17975. Now Lewis's grandson was clever and a little ahead of the game. He not only talked to grandad about the war he tape recorded some of it! He has details of where they trained etc. etc. and PHOTOS. Later on in the war Lewis witnessed the winning of two Victoria crosses and fought alongside a Lt. who won one! Statistically most men with a 17000 to 17999 men went to the 10th Battalion but Bertie, Lewis and I suspect your man went into the 1st Bn. If you scan me his medal index card, we can see when and where he landed abroad and be more certain. He left the Worcesters in February/ish 1916 to go to the Machine Gun Corps. I arrive at that date because of the number he got from them, 19592. There was a transfer of men from the Worcesters to the MGC on 22nd June 1916 and they got numbers between 22307 and 22566. Not all the 259 men were ex-Worcs. I do not have Frank Johnson's medals, I wish I could help you there. I know how painfull it is not to have them, I am looking for my grandfathers, 9078 Pte Richard Marsh. Do you have them, please? Regards Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Help

Postby John Connor » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 pm

Worcester medal service can supply you excellent replicas of medals and a superb mounting service www.worcmedals.com
John Connor

Re: Help required.

Postby Mark Rogers » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 am

I hope I am not too late in posting a reply to your request of 2007. I am the Mark Rogers that Mike Jones mentions in his reply and I can add information about what seems a remarkable coincidence. He was quite right about my Grandfather and Great Uncle being in the line with your Great Uncle when volunteering in 1914. I can confirm that MOD records show they did this on 5th September 1914. The coincidence lies in respect of my maternal Grandfather William Coventry Richards who had enlisted in the Worcesters on 3rd September 1914 and received his regimantal number 15472 on 25th September 1914 by which time he was in Torpoint, Cornwall training with the 6th Battalion. All three of my relations were in training at this time in the area and you can read an account of what was happening then in a book called "Let the boy win his spurs" by Edward Barton. William went to France on the 18th of January 1915 to join the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. All this information comes from his diary. Now to the point! on the 24th january 1916 he records that he left the Worcesters to join the HQ No 8 Company of the Machine Gun Corp and his new number 19594. This is so close to the number of your Great Uncle that it seems highly likely that they transfered at the same time. Hope this helps and do get in touch if I can be of further help.
Mark Rogers

Return to First World War