Additional help in tracing service record of Alfred Olsen

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Additional help in tracing service record of Alfred Olsen

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi
thanks for all the really useful information that has already been provided. I have succesfuly obtained the medal record for my Great Uncle Alfred Christian Olsen and found he was a private in the Worcs R and his number was 42041.
I am trying to find out about his service record for his son who lives in Canada and is not online.
Alfred Olsen was according to his son discharged with honours on 7th March 1919, invalided out due to mustard gas, he believes he was in the Ypres area at Passchendaele. Is there any way to find out more about when he joined up - his medal record indicates that he was in the R.A.S.C (is this the Royal Army Service Corps ?)as a private R4/275102, why would he have transfered? - the areas he served in and any background about his discharge.
I would be happy to apply to the regiments archive but am not sure how much donation to send - I would not like to send too little!
Thank you in anticipation
best wishes
Sarah
Sarah

Alfred Olsen

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 am

Hello Sarah, welcome to Louis Scully's Worcestershire Forum. You have broached a subject that must worry others, namely, how much do I give? The researchers at Worcester are there to help you and keep the memory of ex-Worcestershire soldiers (in and out of all wars) alive. Since they have no direct funding, donations keep it all going. Now I have never asked how much they would like but think it is between £7 and £10. If you are Roman Abramovitch, then more would help. I am glad you asked this question as it may clear the air for all of us. Hopefully they will have some information on Alfred for you. He did not come to the Worcesters till late in the war, so you may have to check with the Royal Army Service Corps as well. When you get the reply from Worcester, if there is any thing I can add I will. Happy hunting Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks Mike, I will contact the archive, £10 was the sum I had in mind, but its very difficult to judge! I will definitely get back in touch with you when I recieve further information. Just finding out that Alfred did not initially join the Worcestershire Regiment will be of great interest to his son, as he was only told about this Regiment.
Thank you again
Sarah
Sarah

Return to First World War