the fallen of oldbury,langley and warley 14-18

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

the fallen of oldbury,langley and warley 14-18

Postby beardie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30 pm

hello all,
new book about men from the industrial north of worcestershire might be of interest to someone!

ERROR://historyofoldbury.co.uk/History%2 ... 20news.htm

if i have broken any forum rules please delete!

beardie
beardie

Acquiring Knowledge

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Steve,
Far from breaking any rules, thanks for taking the trouble to let us know. Please, anyone out there, if you know of a book, pamphlet or article that increases our Knowledge of the Worcestershire Regiment. Then post the details on here , as Steve did.
Steve, I cant get through on the link you posted. Do you know how many Worcestershire Soldiers are in the book? I may well buy a copy myself.
Many Thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:04 pm

thanks mike,
there are 550 men listed in the book, the book launch day is 15th november. my guess is at least 200 are worcestershire regiment men.

you can get more information by emailing sales@historyofoldbury.co.uk

by the way my great great uncle is listed, killed with the royal marines!

beardie
beardie

Postby beardie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:58 am

hi mike,
got my copy of the book and my guess was wrong ! 191 worcestershire regiment men are listed in the book!
beardie

p.s. sorry to the person who was looking for me at the launch! i didn't know until i was speaking to doc daniels later!
beardie

Cant wait !

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Morning Steve,
Thanks for letting us know. I shall definitely be getting a copy but just to excite my appetite, please. How many lines of information (On average) does each man get. Who has most lines and are there any Brothers in there?
Many Thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:28 pm

hi mike,
the amount of information on each man is dependent what famlies have given , but mostly the information is from the local newspaper 'the oldbury weekly news'

don't know how many brothers are listed but here is a example

7284 csm thomas frederick slim dcm of the 3rd worcesters

4811 pte leonard slim 1/6 royal warwicks

sons of thomas and hannah slim of high street ,langley

killed within 6 days of each other!

leonard has 4 lines about him and thomas has about 12

they have published the newspaper photo's in the roll

hope i am making sense?
beardie

Postby maggiesue63 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi all

I also have this book and found details of a relative that died in the great war when I didn't even know he had enlisted. Well worth buying.

Sue
maggiesue63

Re: the fallen of oldbury,langley and warley 14-18

Postby dawn madmom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 am

Hi I am trying to find out how my grt grandfather William George Bastable of Oldbury died does anyone know if he is in the book? I didnt want to order it if he is not included. All I know is he was in teh 10th Battalion and killed at Ypres on the 4.7.1917. Many thanks Dawn
dawn madmom

Postby scully » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Dawn,

On the 4th July 1917 the 10th Battalion were 1000 yards east of the village of Oosttaverne at a location known as Trench Farm. Below is an extract from the 10th Battalion history covering the period 3rd and 4th July 1917 which may be of interest.

10th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - 3rd to 4th July 1917
The 57th Brigade moved up to the line on the night of July 2nd/3rd, and relieved a Brigade of the 37th Division. The 10th Worcestershire, on the right of the Brigade front, found themselves back on the line they had held at the close of the battle, immediately east of Oosttaverne. Orders were that operations to advance the line were to be commenced at once: as a preliminary each battalion would push forward advanced posts. The line held by the Brigade ran across the low shoulder which stretches eastwards from the Ridge and separates the little streams Rosebeke and Wambeke. On the left were the 10th Royal Warwickshire: on the right were the 37th Division.
During the next two days and nights, small parties worked their way forward up hedges and ditches under intermittent fire, and by dawn of July 4th a line of posts had been established some 200 yards to the front, without serious fighting or heavy loss. Next day "Ridge Farm" and "Trench Farm" were occupied. On July 4th that process of working forward was resumed. One small patrol, consisting of a corporal and two men, succeeded during the afternoon in reaching the road beyond "Trench Farm," and had actually crossed the road when a sudden burst of fire from a hidden machine-gun killed the corporal and wounded one of the others. The survivor, Private T. Stevenson commenced to make his way back under a heavy fire by rushing from shell-hole to shell-hole. Jumping headlong into one of these, he fell into a German post, was knocked over and captured. He was hauled back to a hidden machine-gun position and left there, half unconscious. There were six of the enemy in the dugout; presently two of them went out. Stevenson, waiting his opportunity, sprang suddenly on the remainder with his bare fists. He knocked out two, dashed out of the dugout and succeeded in escaping. After again running the gauntlet of the enemy's bullets he regained our lines.
Further to the left a very gallant deed was performed by 2nd Lieutenant R. Lucovitch. In full view of the enemy the subaltern crawled forward from shell-hole to shell-hole for 700 yards and discovered that the ruins of "Cutting Farm" were unoccupied. After dark he led his platoon forward, seized the building and entrenched the position under a heavy fire.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby peter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi Dawn,

Can confirm that your great grandfather is in the book.

It states that 'The Oldbury Weekly News' of 25th May 1917 includes a letter from him.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby dawn madmom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Peter

Thanks for your reply will order the book now.

Kind Regards Dawn
dawn madmom

Postby allanp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi Dawn

I have found reference to William in the 11th August 1917 edition of the Worcester Herald.

Killed
18882 Pte W. G. Bastable – Oldbury

You now know his service number.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Return to First World War