Who is the Sergeant in the photo????

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Who is the Sergeant in the photo????

Postby allanp » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:41 pm

In the 4th Battalion record on this site (see Battalion tab at top of main site) there is a photo of a Sergeant and men with the title of "4th Battalion men resting at Louvencourt (The Somme) 28th June 1916. Does anyone know how I can check the accuracy of this caption? When I first saw it I was taken aback by the resemblance to my Grandmother. I have examined both my Nan's and his photo very closely and there seem a very close likeness, but the date is wrong. My Great Uncle (her Brother) was killed on the 28th April 1916.

I know that I am probable seeing what I want to see, that's why I have purposely not given a name.

I would be grateful for any help.

regards Allan
allanp

The sergeant

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Hello Allan, since it was Louis Scully who has constructed this website you will have to ask him where he got the photo. On the positive side, there were probably only around 40 sergeants in the 4th battalion at this time in 1916. He does have a distintive face and it is a good, clear photo. I have seen photos where the caption is definitely wrong. On the negative side, the photo is dated 28th June 1916 and your relative died on 28th April 1916 in the 3rd Battalion. Sorry to pour cold water on your hopes but all in all, I dont think it can be the man you hope it is. Keep on digging though , until you are sure! Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allanp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes you are right I would love it to be him but I will keep researching until I am positive. Regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War