william henry round

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

william henry round

Postby joan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:28 pm

my grandad william round was honourably discharged from active service on 17th september 1918, he was wounded and disabled,and as a result had to have his leg removed...he had some medals and i have his medal card but i cant make much sense out of them...........i think he was born in 1888 in dudley and i would like to find out exactly when he was born and when he went in the army ...in fact anything at all would be most welcome.....................his army number was 8909 and he only used his first name of william ...................regards joan
joan
joan

Postby LarsA » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:56 pm

Joan,
If you have his Medal index card in your computer you are welcome to send it to me and I will try to see if I can get some information for you out of it. My email is lars.ahlkvist@moderat.se (I am a medal collector and visit this forum regularly, as i have an interest in the Worcesters and WWI)

Some service records (not all unfortunately) have survived, and they are filed with ancestry.co.uk

I found four William Round, two of them with a middle name. As I am currently without a subscription I can't get more information than this from them, but perhaps you can se from this if anyone is a possible for your grandfather. They give out 14days free trials. but you have to remember to cancel i yourself or you will be billed.

ERROR://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss ... 3a7935%3a0

Kind regards,
Lars
LarsA

Postby joan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:43 pm

hi lars.thanks for the reply to my message william was my grandfather.... i am up to date with my subs on ancestry but i,ve found nothing about him so far, i feel sure he would have had a pension but cant find records of that either..he was disabled and discharged on sept 17th 1918....i,m going to try to send you a copy of the medal card i have for him...the 4 you found were not my grandfather......regards joan
Last edited by joan on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joan
joan

William Henry Round

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Evening Joan,
In your second posting, you have put the wrong year in for your Grandfather's discharge, it was 1918. You can go back and edit this yourself or I can do it for you. It needs doing as people who read this are going to get confused. I know you have said that none of the 4 William Round's that Lars has discovered are your grandfather . I dont have Ancestry yet either. Please humour me , get the details out of the William Henry Round , born in Worcester. What regiment was he with?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby joan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:06 pm

hi mike , my grandfather was born in dudley worcestershire around 1888, his name was william henry round, though he didnt always use his middle name, he was in the first battalion of the worcestershire regiment according to his medal card. he recieved the 1914 star plus 2 other madals that i cant think of at the moment.he was honourably discharged
on september 17th 1918.............regards joan
joan
joan

Postby joan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:34 pm

mike ,,,william henry round was in the 4th south staffs regiment his number was 10544,regards joan
joan
joan

Pensions

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Hello Joan,
I was wrong on that one, I was sure that this William Henry Round was going to be your grandfather. Born in Worcester, it seemed too much of a coincidence. If only, the information in a full service record would have answered all your questions. The next move will have to be to contact the Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks. There is an E/mail link to them from the home page of this website. I know for sure that your g/father was issued with a Silver War Badge. The information that goes with this award has some good information in it. It will tell you when he enlisted, his age, the number of the badge and lots more. The Archives have to make a £5 charge for looking out this information. It took a lot of gathering and two years to index it all, so a fiver is a bargain.
There are many pension records at Kew in London, they are listed under the reference "PIN26". I am not sure if these are ALL the records or just some of them but they are not on line. You could also contact the Veterans Agency, they do have pension payment records for the Great War.
Happy hunting Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby joan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:43 pm

mike, thanks for the information ,i am subscribed to ancestry and can only find a bit of onfo about my g/dad, however i will go on and find out as much as i can ......joan x
joan
joan

Silver War badge.

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Morning Joan,
There are only two places you can get the Silver War Badge information and Ancestry is not one of them. The lists and the detailed information those lists contain are only at Kew in London or at The Worcestershire Regiment Archives at Norton Barracks. No where else. I have put the address here for you to write to them.
The Worcestershire Regiment Museum Trust
RHQ. WFR.
Norton Barracks
Worcester
WR5 2PA
There is an e/mail Link on the Home page of the website as well.
Best Wishes Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allanp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:44 am

Hi Joan

I have a report that 8909 Pte W Rounds rejoine the 5th Battalion on the 14 January 1915 preparatory to their return to the front. There is no other information as to when he was wounded/sick.

Regards Allan
allanp

Return to First World War